williams near dayton

gump

Expert Expediter
I recieved a phone call last night from RocketBob he was in a state of shock,,it appears last night at 7 PM they closed down the restraunt in the williams at exit 36 of I 75 in ohio.
it was purchased by pilot and they are going to reopen it at a later time...so most guys will need to find a new place to "hang out"
If i understand right it will reopen in about three moonths as possibly a arbys.I guess the station will close feb 26th and reopen as a pilot the next day.so youll have two pilots at the same exit.
Soooooo where we all going to meet at now?

Dkalasz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
sigh that was a good spot for fuel wars.. i hope pilot doesnt buy all of the stations x(

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The Pilot Corporation bought 60 Williams travl plazas for about $180 million or so.Initally the sale was blocked by the justice department but I guess they worked it out.The article I read said that Williams spent about 105 million developing the travel plazas but the food side of the business never gave them the return they expected. Too bad as Williams centers always seem to be clean,plenty of parking, low cost fuel etc. The Flying J folks were worried about Williams as a competitor but no need to now.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey Rich, I was told that Uncle Sam put a freeze on Pilot for buying up any more Williams stations. Was told they don't want to see a monopoly going on. Do you know if this is fact or fiction?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What I heard was that the justice department originally blocked the sale as they felt Pilot would have too much of a monoply on the price and distribution of fuel. But I guess various lawyers on both sides convinced them that this would never happen.LOL. I have a friend who is somewhat of a manager of a Williams in Kingsland GA and he said the deal finally did go through.

jersey geoff

Expert Expediter
I'm an ex chef so always looking for descent food out there the only bad thing about pilots is lack of choice they only offer Subway or Wendys I'd like to see more Sbarros/pasta/pizza/salads pretty good stuff.