Why Expedite?

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Why expedite? Some Newbies, and probably a lot of experienced expediters wonder what has happened that an expedite load is required. With my limited knowledge of industry I will try to explain.

Let’s use a comparison between your home and a manufacturing facility. Let’s say you use a tube of Crest toothpaste every week. You could use the PULL system or the Just in Time system of storing your manufacturing needs. (Toothpaste). With the PULL system, you go to the bathroom linen closet and get out a tube every Monday. You buy the Crest in the three pack to save money. But, you have to have a place to store them, warehouse, and you have the money invested to buy them, capital investment. Now, when you built your house you spent money to have a linen closet built. There again you have your capital investment tied up in real estate. You could save by not having a linen closet built, or use the floor space for other income producing sources. Like baby sitting. Lock the little buggers in the closet, or growing pot.

You could use the Just in Time system. Every Monday AM the truck pulls in your driveway with a tube of Crest. It is delivered by Justin Tyme Shipping, Inc. (Little joke there). It costs more to buy your Crest a tube at a time, but you don’t have money invested in stock stored in the linen closet, or even money invested in having and maintaining a linen closet.

As a business you must decide if you want to ware house less expensive material and have your capital invested elsewhere or pay more for your material and not have a warehouse with it’s investment, expenses and employees.

Expedite? Let’s say it is Thursday and you have a house full or guests or the dog ate your homework and decided to brush his teeth. The toothpaste is gone and you need another tube of it. You simply pick up the phone or go online and call Mr. Ex-Pee Diter and he or she will pick up a tube at the Crest Central and deliver it to your home. It will cost you more, but it’s better than having a bunch of house guests with the dredded Dawg Breath. Simple, huh?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are a lot of reasons freight gets expedited. You've described one of the more common situations. Exclusive use is also common. There may be no urgency in regards to time, but the customer wants direct delivery, no cross docking. In the automotive world, I've done loads that had absolutely no real need to be expedited. They were the result of contractual agreements. A supplier fails to ship xx number of widgets and is then responsible for the expedite to get the balance there, even if the plant has several days of the part on the floor to run.

I could go on with other examples. Most of us have seen situations where we just can't imagine why we're doing this. Sometimes, you get to the receiver and they tell you what's going on and it makes sense. Other times, you get there and they're as puzzled as you are. Expedite is an off-shoot of the JIT business model. But over the years, shippers have found it to be a valuable tool for many other reasons. I'm sure we all hope they continue to find more ways to utilize us.

moose

Veteran Expediter
This job is for the individual hoe know no limits of frustration ,the type of person who like challenge even when there is no hope of winning.
this will built the kind of characters in you the armed forces dream of.
you will find yourself exhibiting behavior that you never thought possible . but its free !!!
you will need a strong back to load the trailer , I will be able to offer short bonus of sympathy and witty banter as you prepare to start your journey .

source :
best of craigslist : Free Hot Tub

:)

Moose.