wheel/tire sugges's - supa singles

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
In the final stages of putting my 2008 Coronado on the road.
24' Kidron box.

No ifs, I am going to install 6 super singles tire & wheel combos.
Looking to see if anyone's knowledgeable on any deals combining the tires and wheels. Need a good package price.

Also, getting various opinions on weather or not to put steers or drives on my Intrax steerable lift axle which is located foward section of box. Could use some good advice from someone who has real world experience.

Thanks people

moose

Veteran Expediter
sound like a very interesting project.
is that a 4 axles truck ?
tandem or screw ?
what part of the country ?
any pictures ?
normally a 24 box will be over the 40 foot on a class 8 with a 70" sleeper.

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
Heya Moose

Deff not a project, but a endless work in progress. Put a fixed tandem on this thing when I first bought the truck 14 months ago.
Then it became a 4 axle vehicle.But the darn thing has a horrible turning radius as you probably know. Was in Akron last month and got this killer deal on the Hendrickson steerable axle. Have cut the
foward tandem off and running 3 axle at the moment. My drives are at 45% so I decided to go ahead and knock out the axle install and wrap it in virgin rubba. Live just outside Ann Arbor but that dont mean nuttin. Im down in Ga now and headed for Dallas. I'd like to pickup the wheels-tires on my way home this coming weds.

Yes, this thing is a lil long. All im gonna say. Have had many many level oness-twos inspections without any problems.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Sapp Bross across I-80 have a 330$ a wheel .
with some call ahead ,& a bit of negotiation skills , you can get a free PM , a shower and a meal .
truck-pro (Google it) also have a good deal on the Alcoa ,
Alcoa now have a set of new duel , that weigh less then the SS.if you choose to go that route .
you will need to buy a wheel that is 140 PSI rated , some wheels are only 130 . if you choose to go that route .
i use the Bridgestone Greatec and very happy with winter traction , tho'w i think a trailer tire is needed for the non drive - drive axle , for a better ride and fuel millage.
the greatec is a regrooveble tire , so there is some hidden potential there .
also for a SS aloy wheel , you will be better off investing in some wheel centering device .
you can call : 1-866-597-3836 , and get a set sent to you , just have it before you install the rims , 24$ a wheel +shipping.
How'Bout Centermatics ? (180$ an axle)
call the Hino Dealership in Kansas City (ok the KW or you won't call) they always seems to have a good advice .
you still owe me some pictures ...

Last edited:

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks MooseMan for yer sugges's.Called sapp fellows and tried to put a combo package together. Big $$'s
Long story, but i aint ever stepping a foot in another truck-semi pro shop,ever!
UTM in Carrollton beat everyones tire price and picking those up in the morning. Will throw um in the box. Got 4 for rear tandems, Michelin X-one's --mainly cause of their guarenteed 2 hours road call policy.The lift axle requires standard wheel & tire so it'll just be a remount of my existing set. I really did have serious questions bout having that wide boy as a self steer. Plus after reading the axles spec sheet ya cant put them on anyhow.
Vander Haags in Des Moines, IA got me 4 gently used, new looking alcoas at 220.00 each. Gonna grab those as I head north towards the house.
Already got complete sets of balance masters.Use um on all my wheels and the drive shaft.
Never tried Centermatics as the balance masters have served me well since the late 80's
Gonna heat up the barn next weekend and after a days work, everything will be done. labor cost zero.
Might just get the right weigh load scale gauges installed too.

14Wheeler

Seasoned Expediter
After converting over to the super singles,will you still keep the same screen name?:D

That's a delima ain't it ?? I dunno, never did think of that till now

Hey, I seen the funniest web page ever. Its a doggie daddy and his wife. Making money on the "slide" at truck stops. A great parody site.

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
FYI, I have about 80K on a set of Michelin One retreads.(tandem axle tractor and running heavy most of time) so far no problem and about 1/2 the cost