What would you drive.

twodogsdaddy

Expert Expediter
If you were strictly a solo driver and you had your pick of driving any class & or type of expediting truck with the idea of generating the most profit (let's exclude TT) what would you drive and why?

twodogsdaddy

Expert Expediter
Thanks X1. I was just concerned about the operating costs if a class 8 vs the available income. Your logic helps and from what I have heard from a few others I guess bigger just may be better. Thanks again...I love this sight.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I originally began my research with a bias toward a Sprinter van. That would give me the largest van available and still keep me out of logbooks. It would maneuver anywhere I wanted. It would go through the drive through when I wanted a burger. It would be most economical to operate. It would earn the least per mile. It would be the most limited on load capability. It would be the least heavy duty and therefore the most burdened by loads. It would offer the lowest gross income due to the limitations on loads and lower revenue.

I then debated between C and D units. The C unit would save about 10 feet of overall length. It would let me go to some museums and other places I couldn't in a larger truck. It would generate more revenue from more load options and higher revenue per loaded mile. It would also cost more to operate.

The D unit would offer the most revenue per mile. It would offer the most load options. It would go the least non-trucking places due to the 40' length. It would cost 2 or 3 cents a mile more to operate than a C unit due to slightly higher fuel consumption.

After considering all options I went with the D unit. I still like the idea of the Sprinter and the freedom it offers. In 4 or 5 years when it's time to move out of this truck I should no longer have college kids. I may step down to a Sprinter then since my income requirements will be lower.

Personally, I wouldn't consider a C unit because the entry fee and operating cost is basically the same as a D unit but the flexibility of the D unit and greater revenue generation make the C a no choice option. If I were to get an insurance check next week for the full price of this truck I'd probably go back and get an identical unit. I'd still have to consider the Sprinter and the advantages of size, maneuverability, freedom from logs it offers before making a final choice. It might boil down to Sprinter/D unit and heads or tails.

I hope that helps you some.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
TDD, I love this question! What I would drive is what I DID drive. To me the choice is simple. A class 8 straight truck. The only thing different that I would do is either go twin-screw or add a tag axle. The class 8 truck (century) had plenty of room in the sleeper to live, but I kept the amenities to a minimum. Fridge, micro, and a small TV. I tried to run lean. I could scale 14000 in the box without a problem. A tag or twin-screw setup would have let me scale 20k. My company pays tractor rate for any load over 13000lbs, so it is a factor that may not double your numbers, but it WILL noticibly add a few cents per mile to your average revenue.

A 24 foot box would have been nice - but the 22' did just fine. A class 8 straight truck gives you plenty of room, plenty of power for pulling hills in the "lumpy" states - and usually a transmission that can get you 12 mpg on cruise control in the "flat" states.

One of the keys to success in expediting is to give yourself the ability to carry almost any load - especially in an area where loads are few and far between sometimes (that is just reality, regardless of what you drive or who you drive for).Carry extra load bars, straps, and even plywood sheets for decking loads that are not stackable. The more resourceful you are, the more money you can make, period.
In a straight truck you can haul almost anything except for a tractor sized load - and that is just by volume, not weight if your truck is properly equipped.

To make a long story short, You can always put a cargo van load in a straight truck - you may not want to, but in that rare case that it is your best option at the time, you can.
Under no circumstances can you fit a dock high straight truck load into a sprinter or a CV, ever.
My opinion from personal experience, I hope it is the kind of answer you are looking for. - X

twodogsdaddy

Expert Expediter
I missed your post Leo...Thanks for the info. I recently missed out on a good deal on a D unit..Had the money available but missed it by a day. I was going to have to sit on the truck for a little while so everything works out in the end. I'm probably going to drive for someone first for awhile but the deal was just so good. My problem will be my two dogs..one small one medium both non shedding..but I suppose it's going to take a little convincing...They were with me when I drove TT OTR ...Truck was cleaner when I left the company than when I picked it up...I wouldn't mind driving team but I know my pooches will be a big obstacle for most people.