What size unit?

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
For about a year now, I´ve been hearing that many fleets are phasing in more "E" units. What do you see as the way the industry is going and why, as far as unit size to run, team and/or single? When I first got into expediting several years ago after running TT for many years, I asked the recruiter, which unit I should buy to maximize my load potential. At that time, he wisely recommended a "D" unit, and my first year turned out to be a surprise, as I made more money than my best year in big rig.I also had the opportunity to compare notes with "E" unit drivers and we were pretty parallel in revenue. I know the business has changed since then, so what´s the current answer from each of you?.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Louixo;
I think more and more Owner Operators and Carriers are realizing that E units (Tractor-trailers) are the ideal freight vehicle for expediting. E units can carry any size freight (A thru E loads) and still make money with the least amount of down time or waiting. Think about this, most Tractor-trailer carriers pay their contractors about 86 cents per mile for all miles. Operating a tractor for an expediter allows you to run the small "A" loads for about 85 - 90 cents a loaded mile, upto "D" loads at about $1.20 to $1.30 a loaded mile. Once unloaded the tractor is much easier to find a load for, thus keeping the vehicle generating much more revenue than the 86 cents per mile offered by the truckload carrier.
Thanks, HotFr8Recruiter:+

abcwine

Expert Expediter
Louixo,
The way I would put it, is both tractors and straight trucks can make money in expedite freight. Tractors do make more money per mile and are a very useful piece of equipment for expediting companies. As far as bottom line revenue, tractors due have more possibilities in making more money. Don't get me wrong, straight trucks are always needed and also can make good money. I always put it in the contractors hands. If you are dead set in getting out of the tractor business and are tired of hauling a 53' trailer behind you, or a spouse won't even think of driving a tt, then a straight truck will be more suitable for you and still make a living.

Hope that will help,

ABC