What GPS Device Would You Recomend Today?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Our Garmin nUvi 750 has served us well but seems about to give up the ghost. Diane and I are now troubleshooting the present device and researching replacement options.

Technology changes daily so I thought I'd ask here, what GPS device would you recommend today? Smart phone GPS is not an option. We have flip phones.

We are over-the-road drivers in a straight truck, traveling in in all 48 states and Canada. Garmin is our preferred brand but we're open to others if features justify a change.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The new Garmin Dezl will ship from GPS City on 12/1/12. Large screen. $399.00
Info on their website.
I think it's a LMT 760.
Don't think you'll beat a Garmin.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I should add that the device does not need to be truck-specific. The Garmin nUvi 750 we use now is not and that has not been a problem. Even if a device was truck specific, we would not use many of the features. We keep our own log books and prefer to determine bridge heights on our own.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
While I agree with the log books and bridge height on your own...one nice thing about the truck gps is it has options for truck stops and other truck services. Idk if a regular one has these options as I've only ever used the one in our truck! :p
Just my 2 cents, lol!

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
The Garmin Dezl will also calculate your miles for fuel tax reporting. You can hook it up to your PC and download a report.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Another vote for the Garmin DEZL. It even does HAZMAT routing.

Sent from my PG06100 using EO Forums

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
The Garmin Dezl will also calculate your miles for fuel tax reporting. You can hook it up to your PC and download a report.
Just curious if you use that and is it accurate? Also, can you lock the time zone so that everything including eta shows as eastern time (or other if you choose)?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Does anyone know if the power cord for the nuvi 750 will work on the DEZL? We try to keep a neat cab and route cords out of sight. Our nuvi mounts on the suction cup connector which sits on a plastic disk on the top of the dash. The power cord is routed from the suction cup connector down through the dash and out of sight to a power connection behind the dash. It would be preferable to use the existing power cord if possible.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Yes you can lock the time zone.
The DEZL mounts on a bean bag type mount. The cable from our old Nuvi would not work.

Sent from my PG06100 using EO Forums

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Thank you all for your replies. I was able to repair our nuvi by doing a software update. Nice to see a company that provides support for discontinued products. With our beloved "Gertrude" now brought back to life, we will keep using this device.

It's nice to see the Garmin truck GPS getting good reviews now. I remember when it first came out, people were surprised and disappointed bu the shortcomings of Garmin's then first truck product. While all GPS devices have some shortcomings, we have been very happy with the performance of our Garmin nuvi 750.

If you are thinking about buying a GPS device, the good technical support Garmin provides, even for a product purchased three years ago and then discontinued, is a strong selling point.

Last edited:

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
Just curious if you use that and is it accurate? Also, can you lock the time zone so that everything including eta shows as eastern time (or other if you choose)?

No, I don't use the Fuel tax reporting feature since our carrier pays for our fuel taxes.

As others have mentioned you can lock the time in also.