What about CTX ?

Rainbow 1 1

Expert Expediter
I'm considering signing on with CTX. They will take my 95 Ford f-250 Powerstroke. This is my first post, all responses appreciated. I've been reading this forum for a few days, very informative. Also sounds like a bad time to start a new career. Recruiter says they have plenty of freight paying 58%. Need to get my feet (greasy?)

paperback1

Expert Expediter
I don't know, 58% of what? sounds like a pretty low %, but i don't know what their rates are. Anyone know what kind of money a D unit makes there?

Rainbow 1 1

Expert Expediter
Rainbow again. 58% of whatever the load pays. My truck is a p/u. Seems most guys are running vans. Recruiter says pickups are better because load is separated from driver. I thought I could learn my way around for awhile and move up to a d-unit later. I need to net at least $500 a week or my family will starve.Is this reasonable to start out?

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I talked to CTX about putting on a van, (B unit, same as pickup with topper) and I knew there was trouble when I asked the recruiter what that 58% actually meant paid to the van and his first words were.. "Oh... I don't know.. it varies"... I asked him if he meant he was recruiting for a company and didn't know how much they paid? He finally told me that B unit pay ranged from 50 to 90 cents per loaded mile... I said.. ok.. that's quite a range.... I have since then talked to a couple of B unit drivers who told me over half of their loads are 50 cents per mile or under! Usually.. around 42 cents... I wouldn't start my van for 42 cents a mile!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Dreamer

Remember.. One bad day on the road is better than two good days stuck in an office!!!

Rainbow 1 1

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the responses. I have since talked to a couple of CTX drivers. They both claim to average $1200 a week before expenses, which is fuel, food ,tolls, maintenance and truck depreciation. This seems to vary with an average of $400 per/wk.
Do these numbers sound about right?
Loads vary from, .50 -1.20 per mile. Seems like a pretty wide range to me. I sure would hate to go a month at .50 per mile.
What do you think about runnig an F-250 extended cab, powerstroke. I get 17 mpg. I thought I could set up my extended cab as a mini sleeper. Also where do you find an inverter and what kind should I buy?
Thanks again.:)

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
42cents is a little on the weak side, but if you are running 5 or 600 miles a day and most of it is highway miles, and this is your net, you can actually make more money then a guy that is getting 65cents a mile sitting on the side of the road waiting for a trip. There are all types of circumstance that play a major part in how to determine what you should be getting paid for doing a trip. Most of the time the company you are leased to gets $1.50 or more for trips. They will pay you what they think they can get away with. If a load is hot and they can’t cover it or are having trouble covering it, they will offer you the world. If they have 5 drivers waiting for a trip, and in the same area, then they play bid wars with the drivers. What I mean is – they will call driver one and tell him the load pays – x,. Then call driver two and tell him the load pays a penny or 2 less, and if you accept it look at what they saved. They will then call driver one and tell him the trip canceled. If you are a driver and don’t ask what the trip pays, then you get what they want to give. If you were to match all your trips with the actual bill from the customer, I would say most trips are paying about 48% of the customers cost. Then you pay back to the leasing company a fee for their stool pigeon, a fee for this and a fee for that. Then no top of all that you must have a certain amount of your own money in an escrow account so you can work for them.

This will never change because the company knows there are 3 new drivers knocking on the door for every driver they have working for them. If you are knowledgeable of the truth and start asking to see the customers bills, (witch by law you are entitled to see) they will find a way to get rid of you. You will be put on the hit list and things will get ugly.

I could go on and on and on, about how the driver that is doing all the work and taking all the risks to get that load to the consignee is getting the royal shaft from these companies that do nothing but answer the phone and point the trip to you. Sometimes it feels real good to vent and get rid of the trash, So I’ll quit whining.

Hey Rainbow 1 1, all that gibber - gabber above was directed to all the members of EO not just to you. So don’t get confused. I was just opening some eyes.
I replied to this and wanted to say CTX is okay to work for, I guess. I here allot of good things from their drivers. I really didn’t mean to take you to china and back just to say that. There aren’t many companies that will hire drivers with pick ups. If you have a cap already on it just hope it is tall enough for the fork lift driver to get a pallet in. If you are going to build your own, you may want to go a little taller for easy access. Your ext. cab should be fine. The question should be, What do you think about running your ext. cab? You are the one that has to drive it and for the most part sleep in it while on the road. I won’t know much about inverters, but I here allot of talk about not to buy one at a truck stop, they say they are over priced.

Rainbow 1 1

Expert Expediter
Thanks Tony.
Some times you just gotta say what ya gotta say,
I'm sure there is a lot more trash that could and should be exposed especially to bring us newbies up to speed on some of the less savory topics of expediting. What better place to do it than here for all to read that are interested. I'd much rather hit the road with a little knowledge under my belt that can be gathered from the experience of those who have done it. Its great that so many are willing to share their experience.
Now this may seem like a dumb question, but what is the easiest way to get the front pallet to the back where a fork can get it? One guy said a tow strap hooked under the first pallet before it is sat down on the truck. What do you think?
Thanks again.:eek:

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
In response to moving a pallet: If you can afford it, your best option would be to buy a "pallet puller" & 8' of chain. I think I paid a little over $100 for mine. It's great!;-)

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Thanks for the responses. I have since talked to a couple of
>CTX drivers. They both claim to average $1200 a week before
>expenses, which is fuel, food ,tolls, maintenance and truck
>depreciation. This seems to vary with an average of $400
>per/wk.
>Do these numbers sound about right?
>Loads vary from, .50 -1.20 per mile. Seems like a pretty
>wide range to me. I sure would hate to go a month at .50 per
>mile.
>What do you think about runnig an F-250 extended cab,
>powerstroke. I get 17 mpg. I thought I could set up my
>extended cab as a mini sleeper. Also where do you find an
>inverter and what kind should I buy?
>Thanks again.:)

You can purchase inverters at almost any truck, size will be determined by what you want to run off of it. They come in wattage anywhere between 100 and 3000 watts. As far as CTX, I ran with them for a year and made good money during that time. I did on the average of $1000 to 13000 a week gross. I understand they have improved their operation quite a bit (which was needed) but what outfit doesn't need improvement. Your best bet is to get a van, pickup will work but I don't think you will make as much as you would with the van. There are plenty for sale on the EO "trucks for sale" site, most of them already set up. Good luck.
JUMPMASTER

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Sorry, almost any truck should read almost any truck stop.
JUMPMASTER

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I used to drive, but now I am an owner with a driver on with CTX (225012) Cargo VAN
They are one of the only companies that you can lease on to with a pick-up with cap, they consider it a "A" unit. but it must be able to handle 2 skids in the back. and have an opening of at least 54" wide so that a fork lift can place the skid/skids in the back. they would prefer if you have at least your door opening area is 60" wide, and min of 48" in height. higher preferably

The average since most of the loads are gotten off the internet, are not really high paying, they are between $. 95 and $1.25 mile loaded, which you would receive 58% of, in other word, if the load was at 500 miles paying 1.25 per mile, = $625.00 X 58%, your take is $362.50, or $ .725 per mile. on the low end it would be at .90 per mile would be $.522 per mile which is the lowest. If you in the OHIO Valley from Carlisle Pa to Chicago you should be kept busy,
Any other question you can call me at 1-704-739-4039, I also have the Tax Forum on this site/

Frank Katz
Frank's Tax & Business SERvice