West Coast expediting

newthead

Expert Expediter
OK, I have been reading posts here for quite a while and getting info. at other places. I have a relatively decent grasp of the vagaries of expediting. I know most expediting is done in Ohio-Indiana-Mchigan-and other eastern oriented cities.
Can anyone tell me how much is done out west? I live in Portland. I would like to here from someone who is an expediter who also lives in the West.
Thanks

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
While I was landstar I used to take Cummins engine out to Portland regulary to Swan island. I would pick them up in Columbus, IN. I used to get load to California, Texas quite a bit.

I have heard tell (based on 1999 information) that Landstars offices used to get one or two loads a week out of Portland. I do not know how they are doing there now. There is some freight coming out of the west just not a lot of it. I would say 50% of the time in the west I would deadhead out.

I have heard a Roberts Express salesman say once that only 20% of the expediting market had been tapped. Companies for some reason don't seem to want to put effort into solicitating freight west of the Mississippi. I have always assumed that the reason was that they viewed the auto industry as "the golden calf". It would seem to me it would be everyones benefit to go out and canvas the entire western region.

I once picked up a load in Phoenix, Az. The load was called into Roberts by a company back east. The lady in charge of shipping and receiving had never seen a truck like mine and asked what it was used for. When I explained what expediting does she was estatic. She said "We have emergency load come out of here all the time and can't get them delivered on time." and begged for the company's telephone number. I feel many of the large cities in the west have factories just like the one in Phoenix. Screwups and deadlines aren't just an eastern thing.

Here is a pic of me relaxing in the sun on my last trip to Calfornia }>
http://www.johnnypopper720.com/junk/mexicansunscreen.jpg

marmon01

Expert Expediter
Very true on the undeveloped Western market. I lived in Tucson for a number of years and in many cases the company would either rent a 6-wheel Ryder truck and make the last minute delivery themselves or pay the cost of an 18-wheeler for a few thousand ponds.

sevenerb

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I lived in Phoenix for a year & one-half, and drove a D-unit for an O\O, who lived there. I stayed busy the whole winter of 2000-2001, while there. There is an untapped market in that area for expediting with such freight as jet engines, both for small commuter type jets and helicopters, electronics going to the midwest, some auto parts going to Nogales, El Paso, & Laredo. Quite a bit of general freight goes to Texas, but not much coming back. The owner I drove for wanted to go back to Michigan, so I no longer drive for him, but I know the freight is out there.:D Stay safe.

newthead

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the GREAT replies! I have been in the same-day courier business for the past 8-9 years but got the bug to run on a larger scale but not in a big rig. I too think there has to be more to expediting than just automobile engines! I'll research some more. Thanks