Want to become a Owner Operator! I NEED HELP!

SNT

Expert Expediter
I want to become a owner operator, but I don't know where to start. Since I only have CDL A Permit, I would advice on which way should I go. Should I buy a straight truck or go to truck school and drive a tractor truck? Please give any advice, good or bad. I need all the help I can get.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
SNT, there are a few factors that you need to keep in mind before making your decision. You will definitely need your CDL regardless of what you are going to do, so you are on the right track there. Your experience is going to be a large part in which companies you can come onboard with. Some companies require very little experience in straight trucks and tractors, but others require up to two years experience in the same size or larger than the one you intend to sign on. Your first couple of years is going to be your experience building time. How you get that experience is up to you - but a couple of options are to 1.)Sign on with a large tractor trailer company that will put you through school and train you. You have to repay them for your training, but after a couple of years you are home free and can select from any option in the expediting world. (OR) 2.)Find an expediting company that does not require experience and sign on with them as an O/O or a driver for one of their owners. Your lack of experience may affect how willingly a truck owner hands you the keys and sends you on your way. I am partial to option number one - Tractors do very well in expedited freight, but I still believe that the Straight truck will always be the backbone of the emergency freight business. I hope this helps, or at least gives you something to think about. Best Wishes - X