Virus Warning

talltotem

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
There is a new virus being spread through indiviuals' address books. I received an email from a supply house in GA with it (not on my book - I'm on theirs); then received 3 more from an individual who routinely sends me email. Subject in all 4 were consistant with business done with these people. Message reads: "I'm sending you this message as I need your advice." If you receive anything like this, DO NOT OPEN ATTACHMENTS! An easy remedy to know if your email is genuine is to pick a code word to use as the first word in your subject line and tell all you know not to open any mail from you unless the subject contains this word; then change it weekly or monthly. It took 7 hours to restore my computer with the assistance of McAfee, Norton, and AT&T. Please note that the people I got the virus from were aware it was on their computer until it was too late.

Gade Terbob

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
That is the SIRCAM virus. I recieved an email with it (NOT caught by McAfee). Deleted it w/o reading it. Deleted it from the "deleted files" folder. Threw mcafee away. Installed ZoneAlarm. After installing zonealarm, discovered a Trojan that has been reporting my internet activity since Mar '01!

Christyrose

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Please check out this webpage. www.pcpitstop.com You download their program. They run a complete diagnostic test on your hardware and software. They will also give you a report of what can be changed or added to. If they find anything such as a ardent(?) .dll file, they will also give you information as to how to clean your system of it. The ardent(?).dll file also gives out information on you as to what webpages your going to. This is not a virus, but when you downloaded something to your pc, it was a hidden file in that program. One way to see if you have it is when you click onto your connection and it shows your sending out more bytes then your receiveing.
Another good spot to learn more about your pc/laptop is www.techtv.com