virgo intacto

edchilton

Expert Expediter
This morning, over the phone, I was offered work as a driver of expedited frate. I have read through this forum to get some idea of what I would be getting into, and whether the offer meets the terms other drivers are getting. So far, the offer sounds fair. I was told that the company is called Cannon with offices in Mt. Clemens, MI. So far I find no reference to them on this website. Does anyone know anything about them?

I am CDL "A" and was driving for Swift until they tried to kill me.
This position will involve driving a 24' truck with sleeper. One of my concerns is that if and when I want to drive articulated again, that my OTR driving "B" will not count as "years of experience" for purposes of insurance and rate of next pay. I would be glad to drive TT, but I dont own my own truck and the man who offered me work has no articulated units.

But he has kindly granted me a few days to think about this. I found this forum and hope that some of its members will have advise and comments for me.

Thanks,
Ed
Midland MI

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Hi Ed and Welcome !! As far as your offer being fair, You didn't say what you were offered. Most owners offer, usually a 60/40 split with the 60% going to whomever pays the fuel. Also alot of owners will reimburse you for tolls which is especially great if you run east alot. I have never heard of Cannon Expediting per se' but I have seen and know of Cannon trucking, but all the trucks I have seen have always been T/T's and I don't know where that company is out of. You didn't say how much experience you already have driving T/T and as far as your ? about that affecting insurance and such that I don't know. On another job I used to have, I was promoted over this other guy that thought he should have gotten the promotion because he had four years experience, where I had 2 the boss told him he had 1 yr. experience 4 times LOL. You might want to get in touch with Cannon in Mt.Clemens and ask them some ?'s as far as how long they have been doing expedited freight, what they're mostly hauling and where they are usually running. If you would rather drive T/T I don't see where that would be a problem. Seems most companys are screaming for drivers. By the way, have you checked with Express Leasing out of Bay City or Stone Transport out of Saginaw?

Best of luck,
Fr8 Shaker

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Hi Ed and Welcome !! As far as your offer being fair, You
>didn't say what you were offered. Most owners offer, usually
>a 60/40 split with the 60% going to whomever pays the fuel.
>Also alot of owners will reimburse you for tolls which is
>especially great if you run east alot. I have never heard of
>Cannon Expediting per se' but I have seen and know of Cannon
>trucking, but all the trucks I have seen have always been
>T/T's and I don't know where that company is out of. You
>didn't say how much experience you already have driving T/T
>and as far as your ? about that affecting insurance and such
>that I don't know. On another job I used to have, I was
>promoted over this other guy that thought he should have
>gotten the promotion because he had four years experience,
>where I had 2 the boss told him he had 1 yr. experience 4
>times LOL. You might want to get in touch with Cannon in
>Mt.Clemens and ask them some ?'s as far as how long they
>have been doing expedited freight, what they're mostly
>hauling and where they are usually running. If you would
>rather drive T/T I don't see where that would be a problem.
>Seems most companys are screaming for drivers. By the way,
>have you checked with Express Leasing out of Bay City or
>Stone Transport out of Saginaw?
>
>Best of luck,
> Fr8 Shaker

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Don!t know what happened here but I did not mean to repeat Fr Shakers comments. I was just curious as too how Swift tried to kill you.I thought oufits like Swift,JB and Schenider took it easy on their drivers.

edchilton

Expert Expediter
Hi, and thanks for those replies. The verbal agreement so far (I'll want a witten contract) is for 40 percent to me, owner pays gas and tolls and expenses related to the truck. I've yet to have any contact with the expiditing company called Cannon, I was told that they commenced operations in 1998 or 99. They dont seem to have a website.

I view Swift as having tried to kill me by obliging then coercing me to team drive with a totally incompetent person. My anxiety grew across 10 days on the road as there was error after error and no improvement at all in performance. The last straw came when I was in the right seat and the truck was entering an exit ramp far too fast. The guy dropped one gear then began holding the steering wheel with his right hand and using his left hand to adjust the height of his f***ing SEAT. We were coming up on traffic stopped at the intersection for godssake. He had NO ability to prioritize actions, didn't know how the tachometer is used to assist shifting. So far as I was concerned my life was in major jeopardy, I would not go to sleep and trust him at the wheel. To save my butt I decided to get off at the next terminal.

Yes, the speed control on Swift equipment can be hell. Your pedal goes dead and that is a scary feeling. Here you are plumeting down hill at a terrifying 64 mph on a road with a 70 mph speed limit, facing a hill. You would like to build some momentum in order to get up the oncoming hill without having to downshift. But alarms are ringing and flashing in the cab, demanding that you brake down to 60 mph and your refusal to obey policy on this hill is bouncing from one satellite to another and being stored in some computer for printout at your performance review meeting. Gotcha you disobedient mf.

Ed

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
LMAO Ed, That truck make is called a Rollscanhardly, It rolls down one hill and can hardly make it up the next. Also I did your homework for you. I called information and got a number in Mt. Clemens for a Cannon Freight Systems. 1-586-954-2909 they're located at 25 Eldredge
north of Cass between Gratiot and Grosbeck. www.cannonfreight.com I talked with one of their dispatchers, sounded like a Yahoo lol. and he said they also have company trucks, which could pose a problem. They also have a toll free # you can call, it's on their web site.

Good Luck,
Fr8 Shaker

P.S.
You now own me breakfast at the Bridgeport T/A

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Now we need Rollscanhardly model designations:
The RCH 9030-- down at 90, up at 30, power by Briggs and Stratton:7
-Weave-

edchilton

Expert Expediter
Fr8 Shaker,

Thanks for that help on the homework, that website could
use some help too. Since I also develop websites perhaps
I'll suggest some changes to their cyberspace image.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll say "yes" to the offer and see where
all this goes. I remain concerned that any time driving a
straight chasis truck will count as zero towards future
cents per mile when I swith back to TT.

Ed

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Hey Ed, I was just wondering if you had checked out the classified section on this web site ? owners looking for drivers. some are looking for T/T drivers.

Good Luck,
Fr8 Shaker