turbotax

tyoung

Expert Expediter
I was just wondering if you recommend using the Turbotax software to prepare my own return.I am owner/operator in cargo van for FCC.Would I be able to take all available deductions using this?Thank you!

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
turbotax"
Jan-28-07, 09:34 PM (EST)
I was just wondering if you recommend using the Turbotax software to prepare my own return.I am owner/operator in cargo van for FCC.Would I be able to take all available deductions using this?Thank you!

tyyoung,

I think I answer this on a direct email to me, but I will go it again for you.

Using Turbo Tax would depend on where you enter the expenses that you have, the per diem amount you would have to use the help menu to find out under "[er diem subject to DOT regualtions, will it give you the 75% of the total, I really do not know, I never purchased it to check it out.

If this is your first year I would suggest using a Professional Tax Person who specializes in Trucking. do not use any one else,
All Preparers say they know trucking but the truth is only about 1% of the 21,000 professional tax preparer in my Professional Tax Association might specialize in trucking the balance will not. BUT WILL SAY THEY DO JUST TO GET YOUR BUSINESS. AND IF YOUR AUDITED BECAUSE OF A MISTAKE THAT THEY MADE, OR DID NOT INCLUDE OR DID INCLUDE, THEY ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY TAXES THAT YOU OWE. MAYBE THEY WILL COVER THE PENALTY AND INTEREST IF THEY HAVE ERRORS AND OMISSIONS INSURANCE, BUT THEY WILL TRY AND GET AWAY WITH THAT, ESPECIALLY THE NATIONAL CHAINS, "they really do not know trucking" they think they do but do not.they say they do BUT! BUT! BUtt!
You be the judge, all they want is to get you into the office and they GOT YA.
THERE ARE DEDUCTIONS THAT YOU CAN TAKE LEGALLY THAT ARE NOT AVAILABLE TO OTHERS, TURBO TAX DOES NOT KNOW THAT,
SO YOU DECIDE.

FRANK
FRANKLIN kATZ, ATP
Franks Tax & Business Service
Kings Mountain,NC
704-739-4039