turbo

paperback1

Expert Expediter
Any idead on cost with labor on new turbo for a 99 gmc topkick? I think thats the problem with this truck, but not sure, and i think looking at worst case might help if its something else

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We installed a rebuilt turbo in my FL-70, Cat 3126 in May. The turbo was $585.00. In addition, there was a refundable $450.00 charge for the core. My backyard mechanic charged me $50.00 to install.

Good Luck & Drive Safe.

paperback1

Expert Expediter
Thanks, I took it to had it at Northwest Freightliner in Palitine,Il and they put it on the machine. Was not the turbo, but a sensor that was faulty. The truck would loose power from time to time and wouldn't get over 45mph. I hope this is the last of my problems with this truck. And,the moter is cat 3126. Thanks for the info Larry

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Is that the same truck that was giving you the problems with the alternator?

That core is an expensive bugger isn’t it?

paperback1

Expert Expediter
yes, same truck, but the altinator was bad, so at least i didn't buy a part that wasn't needed. truck was down this time for 2 days, thats the longest its been down for a long time, even with the alternator, at least then he was on a load. thanks

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If one ever needs to be replaced, turbos cost between $500-700.
Get maximum turbo life by letting your diesel idle for 2 or 3 minutes after running before shutting the engine down. This is not to let it cool, as some think. It is to let the impeller slow down before stopping the engine and killing oil pressure. The impeller spins upwards of 100,000 RPM during operation. If left spinning without oil pressure to its bearings, the oil left there "cokes" or heats up very quickly and turns into solid carbon which eats up the bearings quickly.
Another thing I see kill turbos is small leaks in air intake hoses that let dirt in to bend impeller blades and kill it that way.
Turbo problems, unless related to the wastegate, are rarely intermittent- when it dies, the engine will have no power and pump out a TON of black smoke.
-Weave-

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Very good advice from Weave,I have had 3 trucks and all went over 700,000 without turbo problems.I religiously idle for at least 5 minutes before I cut the engine off,especially if I have been running highway speeds. Now after I bragged I will probably blow the turbo tommorrow.