Truckstops Safety and Shorepower

Tomboy

Expert Expediter
I read in the archives on here that some truckstops are putting in shore power for drivers. Anyone have more info, have any truckstops done that yet? Also, as a new female solo I have some concerns for safety at the truckstops when I would be there all night. Anyone have any tips for safety and/or security? I am just getting started and would appreciate any info.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
At the present time shore power is limited to about 5 truckstops around the country.The Petro in Knoxville TN has it,I think some of the plazas on the NY Thruway have it and I know the Petro in Atlanta is putting it in. You didn!t mention what type of unit you are driving.Generally if it is a B,C,or D units you can find space in the front of the truckstops to park. Look for the RV spots and pull in there. I once knew a lady who drove a B unit and she had a manakin with a Hat on strapped into the passenger seat. Looked just like a male passenger..Use your common sense,if your intuition is telling you you are in a bad area get out of it. We park in Walmart Supercenters and have never had any problems at night. Park in a well lit spot with lots of foot traffic and you will probably be OK.Good luck.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Just a little tidbit I picked up in a former life in sales calling on prisons...one of the female buyeres there told me ALWAYS take corners wide when you're walking..same might apply in a parking lot. Stay alert,walk like you're a woman with a purpose, and always look em in the eye.

good luck to you! :)