Truck and Company Tips

shoemada

Seasoned Expediter
Hello. After a lot of reading on this forum and talking with a friend of mine who is expediting, I am kicking around the idea of purchasing a tractor for lease. I would only be owning, since I currently work another job and a half.
Question 1: As I shop for a used truck, maybe a 2000-2001, there are a lot of options, miles, and prices to consider. From a driver perspective, what are the option that are a MUST have, and what is just NICE to have at the end of the day? (I intend to hire a team to drive)
Question 2: While shopping for a truck, I am also shopping companies to lease onto. What insight can you give me on companies to check out, or avoid and why?

Thanks so much in advance. There is a lot to consider when getting started. Hopefully enough research will make this an easier start and more profitable in the end.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
What is your background in Expediting? Have you ever owned a truck? How long has your friend been doing this for and for who? Does your friend own a truck or is he/she trying to talk you into getting rich in this industry? I am being a smart ^%$#$ you know we all making so much $ in this industry that most of us on the EO have a couple of extra trucks oursleves.

There is an old joke in the Racing Industry want to make a small fortune, start with a large one. The same can be said for this industry especially if you have NEVER DRIVEN IN THIS INDSUSTRY...

Buyer Beware........please answer the questions before even considering getting into this.

shoemada

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for you candid comments and questions. No one is trying to talk me into anything. I am looking at expediting as a way to diversify my current business. That's why I am learning before spending anything. I don't have experience as a driver, that's why I asked the questions that I did. As I see it, any business venture is about working with people, managing risk, recognizing where there is potential, and doing the work to make it happen.

I assume everyone was new to this at one time or another.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The article, "Introduction to Expediting" touches on most industry aspects.

Link: http://www.expeditersonline.com/downloads/introduction.pdf

You might put some serious time into studying the Open Forum. When we were researching the industry before jumping in, I read every post in every conference going back two years. Write down the words and concepts you do not immediately understand, and the questions that come to mind. Then find some (hopefully several) expediters to talk to about them.

See the EO home page for info about workshops and the Expedite Expo.

100 hours of study now may save you 5 times that much in lost time and expense later.

A fleet owner we once drove for is now a good friend. He never drove a truck before jumping in either. Even today, he has no CDL. But he's one of the best fleet owners out there. Contact me privately and I'll put you in touch with him.

Some experienced drivers and fleet owners may try to dissuade you, and their points will no doubt be worth considering. But there are those that jump in as drivers and fleet owners with no prior experience whatsoever and succeed too.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Before you buy that used truck,be sure to narrow down your choice of co to lease on with. All the good co advertise here on EO.

Different co have policies on the age of the truck. Some will give you a letter of intent,so you can be sure they will accept the age of truck.