This could also be posted somewhere else

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Driving along this week, I thought about some old times at Gibbs and the post on here about Toyota.

Sponsers and how they market themself, if we have any morals at what they throw at us by boycotting or otherwise.

You know that drink by Sobie, with the two reptiles in the 69 formation. At first site this kinda crossed my dirty mind, and than I thought NO thats just me.

This company wanted to and was granted a sponsership in our Truck Division at Gibbs in about 2003. Every two years at Gibbs we had a large Sponser get together, where each company was invited to showcase its marketing plans, and basically get to make new contacts. There were long or short (however one defines it) slide presentations or shows, than its Sobies turn. This is where this whole story evolved from, ( I cannot tell you how many times I have heard after telling someone when I worked at Joe Gibbs WHAT A GREAT GUY HE IS AND YADDA YADDA YADDA) Yeah I know thats why I work there but he is just a guy, a great guy maybee but not on the level with God as most make him out to be.

Anyway this story would put him in that Extorodinary Catagory of GREAT. There show had clips from the movie about the first date Something about Mary. You know the sceene where the hair gunk is dripping from his ear to make us all believe it was sperm. Well there were some other demeaning scenes that guys from California thought were just well ACCEPTABLE. (like these marketing greats did any research at all about the company and its philsophy about business and its true core believes about how God plays a roll) Weather you believe in it or not Joe does and it is his company so he can do as he pleases and what is important to him and his beliefes.

Joe came out into the Car building area, with our Marketing Manager and one could see by his arms crossed, viens in his neck bulging, etc.. this was not a happy Joe. So back inside they all went. Before exiting he unplugged the film, and ordered these guys into the lobby. Upon returning he apoligized to the entire auditorium of all of these sponsers (no employees were in this venue) and than he went back to the lobby and ordered these guys out of his building and also announced the sponsor ship would not happen, his name was in no way gona be tarnished with a company of no morals or low morals.

In one way this was just as funny as funny could be. On the other hand it was not. But what I found so much humor in it, is what I stated earlier, how could they not read our mission statement? How could any company market itself and not do its homework with companies it aligns itself with, or its compeition. Oh by the way the fridges that were left behind to keep there drinks cold, were ordered painted ORANGE and Interstate Green by the next morning. And no one needed to tell me, my first job before going home that night was to either give away all of those free drinks or THROW THEM OUT. Which was already done before I got the message to do so.

I have never really told any long stories about my employement there but this one just crossed my mind and thought some sports people might like to read it.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Its nice to know that a person who is that influectial is also a man of high moral fiber. Especially in the day and time we now live in.