the pitch

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
i always get a kick out of the company line, and the pitch.(one in the same). the pitch is pure snake oil. i remember the first trucking job i ever had, and i asked the recruiter if i would be home once a week...his answer.."yeah..for sure'"..."we have lanes that go right by your house"!..."40 miles away"! (i lived in south florida). i got home 3 months later. now it's the dispatchers pitch too..."hey, freight is slow where you are"..."man if you were only in boston, i could load you 10 times"!! .....what's your favorite pitch?...i'm convinced they all go to the same pitch school.... where is that school..lets find it and kill it!!!:7

crazy

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My favorite is you get a call and get offered a load at a rate that you consider less than adequate and turn it down. Five minutes later they call back with the line "We really need you to take this, you are the only truck in the area, we'll get you a load out after you drop" Yea right.

Wanna go broke?
Buy a truck

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
There used to be a recruiter for a major expediting company in a northern city That would tell prospective expediters that "There is no reason they can't make $12,000.00 a week in a D unit." (I actually heard him tell it to someone.)

It wasn't until after they took their lifes savings and morguaged their house to buy a D unit that they would find out the bitter truth.

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Recently we, as a team have been averageing just around $2,000. a week to the truck.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Here's a goodie- Thompson Emergency put a flyer on the driver door of my truck this afternoon in Stoney Creek, ON. Door-to-door recruitment?? At first I thought it was a parking ticket. Whoever did that is lucky they didn't wake me up}>
-Weave-

Bigtyme

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My favorite was when I was with my first expedite co. I was sitting in Toledo for 2 days (who sits that long there?) but anyway I called Dispatch every hour and ofcourse got the same person everytime except the last....First he said "were kinda slow right now"....next time "were getting busier"and after that "were slamming with work it'll only be an hour or less till I get you something"... Well I waited a couple hours and called back, but I got a different dispatcher this time, I asked whats going on? she said "man we haven't been this slow in all the 8 years I've worked here "... So I packed up my Rig drove home to Grand Rapids MI. and cancelled my contract with them.... IS there any real honest dispatchers out there... And I know exactly what you guys are saying about Recruiters.. Geezzz If that guy told the truth I'd be rich "Yeah our teams are doing 5000 loaded miles a week" and one more, I asked hey am I allowed to get my own authority for when I'm stuck somewhere?"OH you'll be too busy to haul for anyone else"...yeah busy sitting... Well God Bless Y'all and have a great Holiday ........Andy [email protected]

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Hey Weave,

Haven't you heard? Companies have started hiring panhandlers to do truckstop recruiting. Its a perfect fit since the panhandlers already know how to lie. And since they are prowling around the truckstop lots anyway.....

(They just have to remember that their car really didn't break down with their entire family in it.)

They were going to use Jehovahs Witnesses and Truck stop chaplins but they were really hung up on this honestything.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yep..the Thompson witness wasn't smart enough to wrap the flyer in plastic as it was raining. It was like a wet napkin so I couldn't even read the pitch, not that I wanted too:D