The different types of expediting units

kenworthangel

Expert Expediter
Please explain to me the different types of expediting units. I read about a B unit and such but am not sure just what that means. How many different types of units are there and what is the difference in each one far as uses and limitations in loads. Also I'm interested in knowing of all the units which one or ones is more profitable and in more demand by freight movers.

Thank you
KWAngel :)

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It generally goes like this:
A unit- car, minivan or pickup truck
B unit- One ton cargo van
C unit- Small 12-18 foot straight truck
D unit- Large 20-28 foot straight truck
E unit- Tractor trailer

The capacities and sizes vary from company to company. Profitability varies greatly also, but in general larger units turn in more profit if ran with good business sense, but they do offer more headhaches. Of course every company WOULD LIKE the biggest and best equipment at their disposal, but don't usually get it. A few years back most companies wanted C and D units to be no more than 5 model years old, but that is a thing of the past due to the lack of new people getting into expediting. If it runs reliably, they will lease it on.
-Weave-

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
well one rule of thumb is.... you can put small stuff in a big truck but you can't put BIG stuff in a small truck. lol. also the bigger the truck the bigger the expense and truck pmt.

Best of Luck,
Fr8 Shaker