taxes

TIGGER1126

Expert Expediter
ok i've asked a couple c.p.a.'s and i've got 2 different answers., iam currently a local driver,home most nights with maybe 4 or 5 nights out in hotels,rooms paid by company can i take per diem for those 4 or 5 stays out. run would be say 4am monday,work till 4pm monday,,hotel from 4pm monday till say 4am tuesday then work till 4pm tuesday i get back home.... next question im taking a new job i'll be working sunday at 3pm i leave with a team driver,sleeper truck,the run lasts between 20-22 hours,one driver sleeps while other drives so if i leave 3pm sunday and get back at 11am monday can i take a per diem?? thanks you in advance sorry so long.

leo

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
ok i've asked a couple c.p.a.'s and i've got 2 different answers., iam currently a local driver,home most nights with maybe 4 or 5 nights out in hotels,rooms paid by company can i take per diem for those 4 or 5 stays out. run would be say 4am monday,work till 4pm monday,,hotel from 4pm monday till say 4am tuesday then work till 4pm tuesday i get back home.... next question im taking a new job i'll be working sunday at 3pm i leave with a team driver,sleeper truck,the run lasts between 20-22 hours,one driver sleeps while other drives so if i leave 3pm sunday and get back at 11am monday can i take a per diem?? thanks you in advance sorry so long.
leo

Hi Leo.

Basically you must have a minimun of 8 hours on line 2 of your log book showing that you are in a sleeper, and 2 hours off duty on line 1 in order to take the per diem. Even if you drive team the per diem is based on the same amount of time. it is also based on the time you left out, and 1/4 days, midnight to 6 am, 6am to noon, noon to 6 pm, and6pm to midnight. you would get 1/2 day for leaving at 4 pm, and 3/4 day for returning at 4 pm so your per diem would be for 1 1/4 days.

I also due company driver income taxes

Franklin Katz
Frank's Tax & Business Service
704-739-4039