still searching for info

car hauler

Expert Expediter
i'm wanting to get started but think the safest way to start is in a van that way if it doesn't work i still have a vehicle to drive.
now is it best to find your vehicle or the company you want to work for first??
all so i want to be able to take a passenger(girlfriend) that way there is no rush to get home. that was the problem i had with tractor traler Long haul
now with an extended van that has a 12' cargo space couldn't i build a biger sleeper. i was talking with TST and they want 8.5' cargo room

any help would be great
Thanks All

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
9ft minimum is the ideal imho...imagine this you got two skids each on 4 ft pallets now ,you want to strap each one down to your etrack so you gotta have enough room to reach in between em! to ratchet em down ,ya know?...so that leaves about 2 ft 7 in for you an your lady...hmmmmmmm...if you take your lady you could look for cheap motels to lay over i guess...shes gonna have to be one speacial gal to put up with a cargo van for weeks at a time...you really gotta have a hobos or gypsys "spirit" to make a buck in a van,i thank god i got me THAT ifn nothin else!....:)

geoguy

Expert Expediter
maybe you should try driving for an owner first for a few months before you buy a van. you could try a C or D unit, theres plenty of owners around looking for drivers.

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
Geoguys correct on that...Conway has a list of onwers of D Units looking for drivers,if you can qualify..I.E. class b licence or better...if not i say go for it my friend ,after all life is to be experienced ! If it doesnt work out well itll be a lesson learned ! The "road" has a way of teaching us those things! DO NOT get discouraged ! :) Yours W.R.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I say go for it also.A side benefit is that you will find out real fast (a week to 10 days) how your girlfriend feels about you. After she has done the shower bit in the Flying J and has been up night after night,her feelings torwards you may change.