Sprinter cargo van load board

Bunyon 66

New Recruit
Researching
If driving for a fleet owner means being an employee driving their truck, I don't think that's what I want to do?
Maybe, but I don't think so
That's the whole point of me doing this, to be independent.

I drove a 25' flatbed truck for over 6 years delivering to large construction sites like rams stadium, LAX, LA/Long Beach ports, LA high rises etc., also did many pick ups from vendors, warehouses etc. working for someone.
The first 5.5 years was fine but we got bought out as what happened with the last company I was with (doing something entirely different) and suddenly I'm stuck with a nightmare boss I have to deal with now everyday, sick of this and want to do my own thing with no bosses.

As far as delivery, driving I have plenty of experience and driving a cargo van I'm sure is much easier than driving a big flatbed truck over 26,000 LBS, the job itself is not much easier just the driving a van compared to driving a big truck which is why I am looking into this, I'd much rather be driving a cargo van.
So my questions would be, if I took a chance, bought a van is there plenty of work?
I'm guessing I'd be better to sign on with a carrier under their authority before I go get mine so I can get to know how that all works, that I don't have a full understanding of, some, more than I did but it sounds like a safer way to go is with a carrier.
What happens when your signed onto a carrier under their authority and they're not getting you enough loads, can you go with another carrier under there authority and use both or even more carriers?
I don't know man just trying my best to figure this :censoredsign: out so I don't have to work for some jerk again.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If driving for a fleet owner means being an employee driving their truck, I don't think that's what I want to do?
You would be a contract employee. It gives you the opportunity to learn the business. You don't know how much you don't know. Learn it on someone else dime. Use their equipment to learn.

Reactions: danthewolf00

Bunyon 66

New Recruit
Researching
Makes sense.
How much does one make being a contract driver using their equipment?

Where would I find a carrier who does this?

Bunyon 66

New Recruit
Researching
In S. CA
I don't recall seeing jobs posted for this here, maybe because I wasn't looking for them

olie

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Do not buy/lease for the same company that you will be driving for your testicles will be forever theirs!!! and there's no telling what kind of shady BS they will pull on someone. oh sorry there's no freight right now while there staving you outta the van or truck as your going into the hole!!

olie

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
There are many illegals with CDLs that can’t read the road signs. They need to all be deported. I believe wages would go up in many professions including this one.
Just watch any dumbass that hits the exit ramp from the middle lane. One dumbass matches the GPS numbers with the numbers on the sign.

"Oh, we here Jose', right exit now!

Go Bills

New Recruit
Broker
Hello all we are expedited truck broker looking for the best load board to utilize to search for available carriers for our expedited load. Most are AOF aircraft parts that can range from Car, Cargo van, sprinter, straight truck and hot shot flat, up to large van and stepdecks. We currently use DAT and it seems tough to post or search for the expedited size vehicles, is there one that you can recommend to that might cover the expedite niche much better.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello all we are expedited truck broker looking for the best load board to utilize to search for available carriers for our expedited load. Most are AOF aircraft parts that can range from Car, Cargo van, sprinter, straight truck and hot shot flat, up to large van and stepdecks. We currently use DAT and it seems tough to post or search for the expedited size vehicles, is there one that you can recommend to that might cover the expedite niche much better.
Everybody used to use Sylectus for expedited

Careful, I'm told a lot has changed in 7 years, not only expensive with garbage rates but they don't let you cancel easily

The rest have a little on each. If you are posting, just ask for "small straight" and the floodgates will open

Glen Hartsock

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Considering getting into this cargo/sprinter van business, have driving experience driving a 25' flatbed for over 6 years.

I've been looking into this for several months now and not sure about a few things, for one is there plenty of work out there for a new van?
What size van should I get?
I have the funds to pay it straight out so no payments.
I was considering getting my MC/DOT and everything else needed to get up and running but after some research I am thinking twice about doing all this, at least right now, maybe later down the road.

What it seems is it is better to sign on with a carrier to get solid work & experience does that sound about right?

What does it mean exactly to sign on with a carrier, is that like being employed by them, I sure hope not?
I am assuming your still an independent contractor and if so then does that mean you can sign onto multiple carriers so if one don't have loads, you can use another, kind of like using apps?

Or if I am wrong could someone, please explain to me how it works?
I'm new at this and am trying to learn everything I can before I get going with anything so any help would be greatly appreciated!
You don't want another dipshit out there screwing it up for everyone and I don't want to be that dipshit lol.
Do not go into the cargo van owner operator business. There is no money in this. I have 2020 Ford Transit 350 insurance, straps, e-tracks they want me to drive for free. No pay for deadhead not sure what happens after I drop off freight. I'm selling my van asap.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do not go into the cargo van owner operator business. There is no money in this. I have 2020 Ford Transit 350 insurance, straps, e-tracks they want me to drive for free. No pay for deadhead not sure what happens after I drop off freight. I'm selling my van asap.
I can see you are unhappy and I get it. I'm interested to hear, what made you think it wouldn't be that way? Social media, or a recruiter? I'm just curious

Glen Hartsock

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Wasn't social media or recruiter. Is all my fault. I didn't do enough research into the business. Plus I watched youtube videos about cargo van owner operators. The outfit I registered with has initials " VLC ." VLC is headquartered in ST Petersburg Fl 5710 6th Ave. APT 212. The dispatchers are great they treated me very well. The work load is sent via text, then you quote your rate. My first day my rate was to high 1.35 per mile. I cut my rate in 5 cent increments. I got down to .90 per mile and started thinking I've screwed the pooch on this one. The text would have pickup delivery destination miles then say what your best rate. Sometimes the text would say pickup ASAP. What I'm suppose the drive fast for .90 per mile. Is there extra pay for ASAP? Of course not. I do have TWIC & HAZMAT endorsement. Not sure if TWIC & HAZMAT helped. The contract with VLC is the tip off. Their isn't one word or sentence in the contract that would inspire a driver to want to work for VLC. VLC can be used for the training and experience of learning the business pkup delivery using the straps ect. But you won't make any money. The company is about 2 years old. I could keep typing and tying this story out. Do tell me where I went wrong on this one. TY.

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wasn't social media or recruiter. Is all my fault. I didn't do enough research into the business. Plus I watched youtube videos about cargo van owner operators. The outfit I registered with has initials " VLC ." VLC is headquartered in ST Petersburg Fl 5710 6th Ave. APT 212. The dispatchers are great they treated me very well. The work load is sent via text, then you quote your rate. My first day my rate was to high 1.35 per mile. I cut my rate in 5 cent increments. I got down to .90 per mile and started thinking I've screwed the pooch on this one. The text would have pickup delivery destination miles then say what your best rate. Sometimes the text would say pickup ASAP. What I'm suppose the drive fast for .90 per mile. Is there extra pay for ASAP? Of course not. I do have TWIC & HAZMAT endorsement. Not sure if TWIC & HAZMAT helped. The contract with VLC is the tip off. Their isn't one word or sentence in the contract that would inspire a driver to want to work for VLC. VLC can be used for the training and experience of learning the business pkup delivery using the straps ect. But you won't make any money. The company is about 2 years old. I could keep typing and tying this story out. Do tell me where I went wrong on this one. TY.
Appreciate the reply

I've been at this a long time, and have been wondering what all these people getting new MC#s are planning on doing with them

I started same way, and just by accident got a 5 day a week route that paid off the van. Never again

Still in the business, but always paid off older equipment, and I actually work less just on the higher pay jobs that require more than the same license everybody has.

You should call around, there are better companies but I've seen those rates too. I don't know how I would make it with general freight

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
To answer the last - you didn't, the only way you could have known is to do it. Best way is as a driver with someone else's equipment

The dream that they play to on social media doesn't exist. It's been said time and again here but people would rather believe in something positive I guess