Sprinter Article

DooWop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Interesting article about drivers views of their Sprinters. What is difficult for me to comprehend, however, is how that little 2.7 liter engine (about 162 cubic inches to us older folks) can pull one ton loads on a consistent basis. I'm certainly no engineer, and don't pretend to be one, but my understanding is that smaller engines have to run at higher rpms, and thus the higher rpms naturally reduce engine life expectancy. Even with a turbo boost (and once again, I may be wrong) all the turbo does is maintain the higher rpms and lessen the need for down shifting. Many years ago I drove B-model Macks, the kind with 2 sticks. Those 673 engines which were normally aspirated, operated at a low rpm range. You could even lug them down around 1200rpms, but they lasted and lasted and you had mountains of torque. (Of course at the end of the day you felt as though someone had beaten you half to death). The point being, that a larger engine,in cubic inch displacement (or liters) can operate at lower rpms thereby lengthening the life of the engine. To maintain speed in a smaller engine, you have to keep it running at higher rpms, thus contributing to premature wearout. I cannot see how these Mercedes Benz 2.7 liter engines will last 3-4-500,000miles without needing to be replaced.

I'm certainly not knocking those expediters who have purchased the Sprinter, I'd gladly swap jobs with them. What I would like,however,is some honest technical information, and someone to explain how a small turbo-charged engine can continue to perform.
Thanks to all in advance.

Regards

DooWop