Sorry

Wannabe

Expert Expediter
Hi All,

I joined the forum a couple of months ago, (sorry I haven't been back, but as I watch my life fall apart around me, I have been running around trying to pick up the pieces). :)
Anyway, I was asked the ?, "why so Hopeless"? Answer: 'cause the missus and I have been trying to get started in expediting for a yr. now, and on one hand it seems like it was meant to be, but we have been hitting one wall after another. My wife is an insulin dependent diabetic, so no CDL for her until she is off insulin. Talk about having your hopes crushed. We want to expedite more than anything else in the world, so I am going to drive solo, withher shotgun, until she can get CDL'd :p
I have decided to run with Panther 2, but I have to come up with a down payment 4 a truck (D unit), and some start up money.
So I guess I'm not QUITE so hopeless anymore. (Man, when I look back at this message I can't help but nope I don't depress you all too much) :) Hope to talk to ya all again soon. Be safe

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
If you really want to drive, why don't you? Are you determined to only drive if you can have your own truck? Why not find a reputable owner, and start driving? What better way to get used to the job, and at the same time, build up the cash needed to get your own truck? I guess I'm asking a lot of questions huh? But.. if you REALLY want to drive, you don't need to wait until you can afford a truck to start driving.

Remember....

Destiny is a matter of choice, not chance...

There comes a time, when you have to stop dreaming.. and start doing...

Or.....as someone once told me....

In order to succeed at anything, remember these four letters...

G.O.Y.B.

Get Off Your Butt!

If you've been dreaming for a year, how much longer are you going to dream? Don't put off your dream, unless you are PHYSICALLY unable to accomplish it...

OK... pep talk over :7 :7 :7 :7 :7

D Green

Expert Expediter
Wannabe...you gotta do what Dreamer says. This is my first post on this forum, as I work mostly oil field/construction freight in the S. Central region (Tx & surrounding states)didn't know if these folks had the same problems as us hot-shot flatbeds.

But, I wanted to hot-shot for years. Working for a drilling company, as an equipment operator, I filled in as a TT driver for many years, moving equipment, so I knew what I didn't want to drive. ;-)

After 20 years, I took the plunge, and drove a company truck for a year, bought my own p/u & gooseneck, leased to the same company for about a year, then in 2000, got my own authority. Never looked back, & enjoy the heck out of it.

I have made several changes in the business plan, (gotta be flexible to an extent), grown, then downsized, lived thru higher fuel prices (going up again), ever higher insurance rates (every cotton-pickin' year), learned about unscrupulous brokers the hard way...

But...if I had never tried, I would always wonder if I could have made it...

Luck to you in your decision..it was the correct one for me.

Dennis

Wannabe

Expert Expediter
Hey, Dreamer,

I THINK you are trying to encourage me LOL.

I know you're right. I'm going to start driving solo for Panther 2 within the next couple of weeks. Called just today about buying a truck. :)

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Wannabe:

Yes I WAS trying to encourage you..LOL... but I didn't mean for you to jump into a truck payment, if you're not financially ready, just was saying that if you really wanted to drive, you didn't have to wait until you got your OWN truck!

Best of luck with whichever you choose!

Wannabe

Expert Expediter
Ooo Boy,

I dunno, maybe I'm making a mistake, but I really want to own my own truck. I've spent the last year or so checking out everything I could think of regarding expediting, and I just think it would be too restrictive to drive somebody else's truck. For me, part of what makes this kind of work so attractive, is the freedom that goes w/ it.
Anyway, look out below, 'cause I'm jumpin' in.:)
Takin' off now heading over 2 the Expo. Se ya.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey, you know what Wannabe? It is very normal to have some doubts, and be a little afraid of what you are getting into. If you want to know a secret, I was the same way when I started out, and have noticed many of the most successful expediters were the same way in the beginning. The ones I have seen with the highest failure rates are the cocky ones with the "I'm going to take this industry by storm" attitudes, because they did whatever it was they did in their past careers and think trucking will be so much easier. Don't worry about your small amount of self-doubt. I have been successfully doing this for 5 years now and still have it- it keeps me going!
-Weave-

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Weave is exactly right about the doubt. I too have been doing this you about 5yrs now. I do my thing a little differently than say the norm, but I still do it. I still have doubt and get that sick felling in my gut, just about every day.

I become very nervous when I have time to think about what it is I’m doing. When the pressures on things seem to flow right along. GOOD LUCK

Riverbob1

Expert Expediter
Wannabe:
Thought I'd add my two cents worth to the comments of those offering you encouragement. I've transgressed from a "dreamer" to a full-fledged "newbie", having just wrapped up my fifth month as an expedite driver. I began my journey convinced the only way to go was as an o/o. Fortunately for me, my wife, father and others close to me were able to convince me to try the business out by driving for an owner prior to stepping up to the plate and starting out by buying a truck.

Hopefully I won't come out of this sounding like a know-it-all. Here are a few (in my view) trueisms: 1) Expediting is fun and a really decent way to make a living. 2) There are fair and honest owners out there you can drive for who'll help you make a success of yourself, and who'll provide you with a platform that gives your business plan a legitimate chance of working out. 3) Knowing what I know now, there ain't no way I'd ever start in a business like expediting by commiting myself to a truck and a payment.

Let me expand on #3). In my case, the truck I'd been intending to purchase starting out would be far from my first choice now that I've a little experience under my belt. After five months in the business, I've got more questions than I've got answers regarding trucks. Starting out....I was clueless.

Further, I was lucky in selecting an expedite company to hook up with; but that was only luck. There are many expedite companies out there, some of which I was considering signing on with, which aren't, judging from comments I've heard along the way, as fair to a driver, as fun to work with, and as able to keep drivers as busy as the company I opted for (I operate a truck with a red Tri-State emblem on the side. They've been more than fair with me).

I've found success in Expediting. So can you. Expediting offers one a fair chance at success, but there are hazards and pitfalls aplenty, most of which can be neutralized with a little knowledge. I'd strongly suggest you allow yourself the benefit of a learning curve. Drive for an owner for a time. You'll at the very least save some money. The newspapers and trade publications are littered with "Truck for Sale" adds placed by good people who presumeably made an just a simple error or two.

:9

Wannabe

Expert Expediter
You guys are starting to worry me a bit. If I go out and buy my truck right away, am I signing my own death warant, or do I have even a snowball's chance in Hell of making this work? :O

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Wannabe, I see you're still sitting on the fence. That is a safe place, but not much fun. Maybe I can help push you in the best direction.

My wife and I jumped into this business in May 1997 with a small nestegg, a used truck, and a lot of determination. Business was booming and everyone made money, except the few that always sit around and wait for the greatest run ever. We asked around a lot before jumping in as we had never done this before (moved over from flatbeds) and we had no idea how to spec a truck or survive in this business. We got lucky.

This is 2003 with a very different business environment. Many expeditors are having a difficult time out here with lower freight volumes, higher fuel costs, higher insurance costs, and better competition from new expeditor companies. Many dealers are still assembling trucks that will help you fail, and there are many good ones out there too. I mention all this because using 20/20 hindsight, I would not jump into this business today with a brand-new truck. In fact, we have never owned a brand-new truck.

You have received some great advise here in previous posts. Hope you will follow some of it by starting with a used truck, or preferably, driving someone else's truck for about 6 months so you can learn this business. At least you will learn what features you want on a truck to make your business successful when you do go out on your own, and if you really don't find the freedom you seek, at least you won't have truck payments..

Vernon

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
With the way the market is now, if one is going to buy a piece of expediter equipment, late model low mileage used is the smartest way to go, and there is a ton of stuff available. Buying a new truck is much like buying a new car- plan on an instant 20% loss just by driving it off the lot. I saved over $30k off the original purchase price by buying my one year old used truck with 54k miles on it.
To drive for someone else for 6 months before starting out is almost a given now, unless one has prior trucking expierence. It only makes sense- if you don't like it, you can walk away without having to unload a truck you will almost surely loose money on, or possibly your credit rating. The other issue is credit- just about all of the finance companies who were lending money for expedite equipment a few years ago are not doing so anymore due to the high rate of loan default and repossessions. The ones who are lending the money will only do so with 20% or more down payment to those people who have prior trucking job expierence. I'll admit the only way I got into the truck I have now was due to the fact I financed my prior truck with this bank and had a good record with them. They no longer finance any new expedite trucks. This is a tough business to get into at this point in time, but in the world of starting any small business they are all tough. I'm thinking of becoming a career criminal for my next venture :D
-Weave-

witchita

Expert Expediter
One way to go is to take over payments or term lease with an option to purchase. Several opportunities are in the classified section of this site. If you see one that you like call on it, I think you'll find that most people selling are willing to lease w/an option as a sitting truck is $$ out of their pocket. I had spoken with 5 listing people and 4 were willing to lease or carry the note to get out from under the payments. You'll need some start up $$ but in most cases $2000.00 (for ins. hut IF needed,company qual com inst.and your apportioned plate) and the first payment which in most cases was all I was asked for to begin the deal If your heart is set on your own truck as mine was this is a good way to go. These folks can also give you some great advise in most cases. You can help someone out while you get what you're looking for. Win,win situation if it works out! good deal if you ask me.
Hope this helps,just a thought......

Keep it between the lines and take care of each other.