Something is fishy here in MI...

Chrisj9880

New Recruit
Update: finally got him to fax me the contract. $1000 deducted from my pay at an unknown % to secure a deposit on the truck. $12 a week tracking fees. Fees if you miss making a phone call... NOT signing that one! Just got an offer to work for Square One Transport today... Picking up my van tomorrow and I'll be rolling. They seem to be more straight forward, no fees and W2 employee not a contract either. Here goes nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoadTime

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Update: finally got him to fax me the contract. $1000 deducted from my pay at an unknown % to secure a deposit on the truck. $12 a week tracking fees. Fees if you miss making a phone call... NOT signing that one! Just got an offer to work for Square One Transport today... Picking up my van tomorrow and I'll be rolling. They seem to be more straight forward, no fees and W2 employee not a contract either. Here goes nothing.

That can be a great way to learn the business. Good luck.

Chrisj9880

New Recruit
Thanks everyone! Just completed my first trip almost 800 miles. It's Friday morning and I'm in NH hope that I can get my second load soon. I'm in a box truck working for Square One Transport out of Lansing.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Thanks everyone! Just completed my first trip almost 800 miles. It's Friday morning and I'm in NH hope that I can get my second load soon. I'm in a box truck working for Square One Transport out of Lansing.

Hopefully it's the first 800 miles of a safe million + mile journey. Is it over 10k lbs?

Chrisj9880

New Recruit
Hopefully it's the first 800 miles of a safe million + mile journey. Is it over 10k lbs?
I'm driving a box truck (formerly a Penske) thats rated 86000 lbs. got a new mattress on my bunk in back too. Been sitting all day here - boss just called to check in on me... Claims to be working hard on getting me a load. Oh and my 1st load was a 500# barrel of oil too.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I'm driving a box truck (formerly a Penske) thats rated 86000 lbs. got a new mattress on my bunk in back too. Been sitting all day here - boss just called to check in on me... Claims to be working hard on getting me a load. Oh and my 1st load was a 500# barrel of oil too.

Any initial impressions of the company? Did they have you do a formal orientation?

Chrisj9880

New Recruit
Very informal everything … both owners have called me just to see how things are going. So far not bad, hopefully I get a load here in the northeast soon.

Reactions: xiggi

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

86000 WOW!

Reactions: paullud

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oops! Should have proof read that. 8600. Too many zeros. 000000000. :-/
Kind of like my paycheck lately.

cry2-male-cry-tears-smiley-emoticon-000276-facebook.gif

Reactions: ntimevan

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A box van rated at 8600. It can't carry much. My standard van is rated at 8650, because it's a standard 2500 heavy it can just about manage 2900 lbs payload if I do it just right. A box van will be heavier to start with. Run that across a CAT scale at a truck stop the first chance you get. That way you get an idea of what you can legally haul, gross weight and gross axle weight.
A lot of these ex-Penske trucks are pushing the envelop, and the drivers just don't know (or may not care). Your mileage may vary.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In 2012 I considered buying one of those 8600 lb Penske cubes. They're single-axle. I think they weigh about 6100 empty. Add my fat arse and supplies, and you're at 6600. Leaves 2000 lb for freight. I didn't think it was worth it. You can order them new with 9900 GVW on a single axle; that's a perfect fit if you prefer cubes, or are a GM fan. Me? My next rig will be a Transit :)

Chrisj9880

New Recruit
Hope everyone had a nice weekend. Sitting here in New Jersey... Had 2 loads in my first 3 days with Square One- just about 1300 miles. I feel like that is a great start - especially since I've been early to both shipper and receiver on both loads.

Reactions: xmudman

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Talked with an owner op from sqaure one this weekend. He's new to the biz I think around 6 months but he seems pleased with them

Reactions: Chrisj9880

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Hope everyone had a nice weekend. Sitting here in New Jersey... Had 2 loads in my first 3 days with Square One- just about 1300 miles. I feel like that is a great start - especially since I've been early to both shipper and receiver on both loads.

That's great news. Remember to budget your money as you get into the busy times so that you aren't broke when it slows down.

Chrisj9880

New Recruit
That's great news. Remember to budget your money as you get into the busy times so that you aren't broke when it slows down.
Thanks much - I appreciate the advice. Still sitting in Paulsboro NJ as of 7:00pm ET on Monday the 13th. This is a nice TA. Still hoping to visit one of the brand new ones soon.