software

doe.mouse

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'm looking for anything that will help me find del. and pickup places. Most ones that I see will route you where trucks can't go. I del. alot of NYC and Boston. I am looking for something that will show truck routs.

G

Microsoft's address finder works well for me on the laptop in the truck. But like you said It's not doing anything for truck routes, vital for places like Chicago and NYC.. You might need to look into something like PC Miler, a little pricey as compared to the microsoft stuff, but it does let you know where the truck routes / low overpasses are........ Hope this helps.

Sam

Beaker

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-00 AT 10:58AM (GMT)[/font][p]Try [link:www.etrucker.net/business/routing/index.htm|TruckMiles] for practical truck routing. Another nice online routing site is [link:www.freetrip.com|FreeTrip]. Freetrip is one of the most flexible online map programs available.

Jim

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey, Beaker. That truckmiles program has one glaring shortfall. It will not compute a trip that starts or ends in Canada!! I tried it with a mythical trip from Mississauga to Woodhaven Mich, the home of the world famous Detroiter, and it came up "unable to find start location". So I changed the start to Toronto(the largest city in my country) and guess what? It still would not work!! I guess that the second largest country in the world,(after China) is not considered important enough to the program writers who created this software.

I shouldn't be surprised though, just look at any American tv station's weather map. There is no weather on the Canadian side of the border, according to their nightly forcasts. Jim Bunting...

Beaker

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-00 AT 02:10PM (GMT)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-00 AT 01:11 PM (GMT)[/font]

Jim, I can't believe you're turning this issue into another Canada/USA issue!

Why do you take every liberty to make a stab at the USA?

Jim what do you take pride in? Could it be because of a lack of things to take pride in, that you feel compelled to use anti-Americanism as an inadequate subsitute for national pride?
Your anti-Americanism is really no different than racism or anti-Semetism.

Maybe you should stop and contemplate the fact that maybe, just maybe not all Americans act in a similar way that a small minority (the America government, for example) does.

The reason Canadian routing is missing or less detailed in most maping programs is due to licensing issues with the Canadian government. It has nothing to do with Canada not being "considered important" as you stated.

To make things fair, I will give you a reference tool that does include detailed Canada/USA door-to-door routing. [link:www.mapquest.com|MapQuest]

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
I haven't used it much but I hear that promiles is supposed to be good. I hear it is supposed to be designed with truckers in mind.

http://www.promiles.com

I still use the cheap, Rand McNally Route Planner I bought at TA a couple of years ago. That and address finder have served me well. Until I can find a bootlegged copy of PC Miler with a crack in it. ;-) If you have one email me!...lol

Jim

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Pride or a lack of it!!

Beaker: Take it easy man. I only said the software had some problems, I didn't say I was going to hurt your dog!!

As for my pride, or lack of it, you certainly are not the arbiter of decision in such matters. On the subject of the lack of Canadian information in the program, since when does any government have any control over software writers product. That argument has no logic, at all. If that were to be true, Rand McNally would have to get approval from the Canadian government every time they wanted to make another map of Canada. That's ridiculous...

And finally, to stoop to such a low blow as to equate my complaint about the software, to anti-semitism, is such a convoluted exercise in twisted logic as to be not worthy of reply. Jim Bunting...

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have used the DeLorme Street Atlas USA and their GPS for two years and find it very helpful with my expediting. It does not include Canada, but the DeLorme Map 'N Go program does include Canada. The Map n Go program is not as detailed as the Street Atlas, but it does have detail for major cities.

I don't have many trips to or through Canada, so I use Street Atlas most of the time. However, when I get a Canadian trip I just change the CD disk and change to the Map n Go program. It has been helpful around Toronto, Mississauga, Oakville, etc.