Single straight truck jobs

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes. Job = fleet owners trucks. Career = own operate your own truck

That's a weird opinion.
Many people have made a career of driving other people's trucks.
Lots of upside.
Lower risk. Less headaches.Less stress. More free time.
Use your available credit for other things. Freedom to walk away easier.
If you get to a good owner, you can be treated fairly, give him the problems, do your job, earn a good living , and chill.
There are more people on this site that wish they hadn't purchased a truck than you'd believe.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's a weird opinion.
Many people have made a career of driving other people's trucks.
Lots of upside.
Lower risk. Less headaches.Less stress. More free time.
Use your available credit for other things. Freedom to walk away easier.
If you get to a good owner, you can be treated fairly, give him the problems, do your job, earn a good living , and chill.
There are more people on this site that wish they hadn't purchased a truck than you'd believe.
I think you read too much into my statement. It is not weird at all. The OP asked about straight truck JOBS. If you buy a truck to be an Expediter, I would not consider that a job, but a business, which in turn would be more of a career.
Conversely, if you drive for someone else, as you pointed out, it is a job that can also be a career.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I look at a career as a life's work in one field.
If I sold trucks, drove trucks, dispatched trucks, and repaired trucks I would say I had a career in trucking.

If I drove trucks, ran a restaurant, sold cars, ran a gym, and hung gutters I would say I had a series of jobs.
It wouldn't matter if I had bought the truck or drove for someone. It would have been a job.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess it is all perspective. If I have to invest 20K - 275K for a "job", versus "sign and drive", I would consider one more of a business career than a job. But that's just my opinion.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Back on track, there are solo straight truck jobs out there.
Fewer solo positions than team positions.
Look in the classifieds. Put an ad selling yourself in the classifieds.
If you're new, you're better off teaming at first. Learn the business. You'd be more attractive to a fleet owner if you can show knowledge and a proven track record in expediting.

Reactions: Greg

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Greg, I guess it's just semantics.
I think of a career spanning a long period of time.

You can argue that but be careful, I wouldn't want Rags to think you're an antisemantic.

Rags, wash your hands......

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Greg, I guess it's just semantics.
I think of a career spanning a long period of time.

You can argue that but be careful, I wouldn't want Rags to think you're an antisemantic.

Rags, wash your hands......
607851.jpg