Satellite TV

Forerunner

Expert Expediter
What setups are being used out on the road? I know there is the fix mount(Kingdome) but who is using the Dishnet or equivalent setup and how do you have it mounted? How does it operate beside being pointed south when you set it up? How difficult is it to dial in? Any information is appreciated.

:)

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I started with Direct Tv, but changed to Dish Network. Both of these services have plans which allow you to use a 2nd receiver in a 2nd room of your house for an extra $5 per month. If you buy an extra dish for the truck, you can use the 2nd receiver in the truck. When you are sitting at a truck stop you look up the zip code in the truckstop directory, enter the zip code into the dish setup menu, and it tells you what angle and direction to point the dish.

You can purchase a "satellite finder" which you would install between the receiver box and the dish to help you find the signal (rather than use the zip code method). It is available for about $30.

If you really want to spend some money you can get the dome which automatically find your dish. The one which locks on the satellite when you are sitting still is about $1600 and the one which maintains a signal from the satellite is about $2500.

Since I am only out for 4 - 5 days at a time now, I don't take the dish and satellite receiver with me any more. I did enjoy it a lot when I was in expedite and stayed out for long periods of time.