Salary/Pay/Income

roadrunner

Expert Expediter
I spoke to a van O/O a few weeks ago who told me he delivered for a broker and Makes $1,000 a week. In that case, C or D units should make close to twice that amount. What is the average weekly salary for a B, C or D unit? How much are you hard working expediters make? I see you on I-65 all the time, and can't seem to catch up with anyone.

Easier Said, than, "Done This".

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
DOING WHAT?????? Is the 64 thousand dollar question? Is the vanner, chasing JIT trips, or doing dedicated routes? Is the vanner you talked to an expediter or a courier? Two of the drivers (1-expediter, 1-courier) that do my over flow runs, make from $1200 to $1600 a week. Then I have another driver (courier) that only makes $500 to $700 a week. The first 2 do dedicated routes and will take anything that even smells like it's going in their direction, along with their regular routes. The other driver also does a short dedicated route, but is set on cruse and running in low gear. Another words don't add too, or make any changes to his little hustle.

So now getting back to your question. Yes if you are a hustler and know all the ins and outs, then add the luck of the Irish to that and a driver can make a nice bit of change at this. As for doing broker loads!!! One would have to be a very well known, and trusted broker, and have work all over the country, or that person you talked to is doing a whole lot of deadheading bouncing from load to load BUT!!! It can be done. And I would have to guess if the van is doing 1K then a bigger unit should pull in more, unless the broker only handles van loads.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Now 1k a week may sound like a lot but the big question is ,how many miles are you driving for that 1K. What you really need to know is what are you netting out of that 1 k. How many trips are you taking,how many night are you away from home,as Tony said it can vary all over the place.Personally I don!t think many Brokers deal with Cargo vans,only lare T/T units. If you are going to deal exculsively with a broker you will need you own operating authority,pay 100% of your insurance and be there when the Broker needs you. If you want to keep the Broker happy you may have to deadhead 3-500 miles for a short haul trip. it is almost a guarantee that when your broker calls you for a trip you will be 2 states away.You are better off leasing to an established expediting company. I don1T mean to come across in a negative mode but I have found that 75% of the time ,when someone tells you that they are earning a certain dollar amount,take2/3rds of that and it will probably be right.Good luck,look into the archives of this forum,lots of GOOD info here.

DayTrader

Expert Expediter
My first post,

I'd like to drive part-time on the weekends. 6 years ago I drove part time for an expediter here in Ft. Wayne, IN and they gave me 2 or 3 runs every weekend (400mi/run). They're now strictly O/O's and I'm trying to get on board with them again, or possible with Panther.

I'm considering buying a Isuzu npr box truck, since I won't be running too hard. I have class A cdl.

What are the odds of me finding short (300-600mi) weekend runs?

Better off with a small Cargo Van or 14' box truck?

What do you think, am I setting myself up for dissapointment?

Thank you
DayTrader