Required to secure cargo in van?

thesonofemer

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I was able to find this fmcsa dot gov regulations cargo-securement cargo securement rules (not allowed to post links) which mentions interstate (I will be doing only within the state of Texas until later)

Basically my brother thinks he doesn't have to secure the cargo and I'm having trouble finding any info besides the above link saying you are required to. I just can't picture a shipper or receiver being okay with you not securing the pallets. I'm currently installing plywood and e tracks into the van which he is upset about. Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, to be brutally blunt, only a fool drives with unsecured cargo that could crush and kill you in an accident.

Reactions: danthewolf00

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Just because the van stops it does not mean the unstrapped freight stops.....I almost got my right elbow broken do to a 5 gallon bucket of gel dishwasher detergent came flying between the seats after I had to do a very hard stop because someone ran a stop sign.....now think what a pallet that is 3000 pounds heavy unstrapped will do to you in the drivers seat.

thesonofemer

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
This is the kind of stuff I tried telling him. He thinks "itll be fine" if he does have to slam on his brakes or something.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Had a friend think that and the only reason he is still alive is because his guardian angel protected him.....the only thing that was still upright and undamaged was the drivers seat when my friend fell asleep at the wheel. The freight well it tore everything but the drivers seat off of the van.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is the kind of stuff I tried telling him. He thinks "itll be fine" if he does have to slam on his brakes or something.
Does he wear a seatbelt? If so, why? It'll be fine. A fun experiment would be to put a lawn chair in the cargo area and strap it down properly. Then he sits in the chair unsecured. You drive. At some point going maybe 15mph you slam on the brakes, panic stop level. He's out rolling down the floor. The secured chair is still in place. The chair is "secured freight". The idiot sprawled out on the floor is "unsecured freight".

thesonofemer

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Haha funny experiment. I had a buddy in high school who would brake check anytime someone was crawling to the front or back seat.

My problem is that he is extremely stubborn and always thinks whatever he says is fact or the correct opinion. I need some sort of "proof" that he is wrong. I'm gonna try talking to him about it again tonight and hopefully the FMCSA rules will be enough but I'm unsure. The only other thing I could think of is call around to every company who is currently hiring and ask what they think.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Haha funny experiment. I had a buddy in high school who would brake check anytime someone was crawling to the front or back seat.

My problem is that he is extremely stubborn and always thinks whatever he says is fact or the correct opinion. I need some sort of "proof" that he is wrong. I'm gonna try talking to him about it again tonight and hopefully the FMCSA rules will be enough but I'm unsure. The only other thing I could think of is call around to every company who is currently hiring and ask what they think.
He is going to get himself or others killed or maimed.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sorry to be insulting and offensive but your brother is an idiot. At least you were in the lines when they handed out brains. I doubt it would help any but you could also show him this where nobody agrees with him and everyone agrees with you. From the sound of it he is too stupid to figure it out though.

Reactions: danthewolf00