Repairs

vince123

Expert Expediter
Hey folks, I have a question and need some advice. I drive for a great owner who takes good care of me, pay wise, hometime wise, and insurance wise. On Sunday I p/u a load and forgot to secure it and it shifted. It done about $1800.00 damage to the truck, and he said he wants me to pay half and he'll pay the other half. Now, we don't have anything in writing about who pays for repairs, but he said since I made the mistake of not securing the load, it's my fault. Just wanted to know does this seem fair to you? I told him I was tired and will call him later, so I kinda need to know your opinion fast, thanks:p

Marine

Expert Expediter
But you would think he has insurance to cover such things. He should have something that says who covers what, as far as damage most carriers or o/o should have insurance

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Vince,
Anyone that is in business and is an o/o useing drivers has to have cargo insurance and if the load did shift and you said you did secure it then his insurance will pay for it. Now he may have $500 or $1000 deductable, that he may want you to split, and you don't even have to do that.

vince123

Expert Expediter
No, I did not secure the freight, and yes it was my fault, and he does have insurance. My question was, is it reasonable for him to ask me to pay half of the deducible, $500.00? He said some owners would have the drivers pay the whole deductible. He said he would take a little out at a time like over 3months, so it won't be so bad, so again, do you think this is fair?

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I think it is fair for him to ask you to pay half of the deductable. I think fleet owners and drivers that work together on these issues come out better, then those who just up a quit. My hats off to you!

Best wishes.

Lawrence
Expediters Online.com

vince123

Expert Expediter
Thanks, I'll call him and tell him ok. I figure it's a learning experiance for me, from now on, always secure the load. Plus, I don't want to leave such a good owner, when you never know what you might end up with:+

Big Scooter

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hello Vince123,
Good Decision!!!Not only are you an honest guy and willing to learn, but you are also willing to be responsible. You are exactly the kind of driver I'd want representing my investment. I'm glad that you didnt get hurt...that could easily happen under many circumstances where unsecured cargo shifts. I wish you the best and thank you for your honest post. Made my day.:)

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You made the right decision to accept responsibility for your part in the mishap. Remember the old saying "don´t cut off your nose to spite your face"? You probably solidified a good and fair working relationship with an owner whom you said treats you right. It will turn out to be a good lesson you will never forget. Bank on it.

vince123

Expert Expediter
Thanks to all that responded, I'm glad I did the right thing. Just so you all know, my owner said not to worry about the $ right now, that he would take a little bit out over six months. So, I thank you guys, and I thank my owner, he comes on here and goes by the name paperback1
Thanks again folks and be safe, I know I will from now on.:9

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This may be off the beat and path, but the loads I have the most trouble securing are cardboard boxes on pallets that are not stretch-wrapped enough- they love to collapse, and bars and straps don't do much to help esp. when the boxes are stacked too high. I carry a roll of wrap with me to re-enforce these pallets, and if I feel they are too high I will break them down, then re-pile and stretch wrap them again before they are unloaded. Funny I will have no problem securing the $50 million machine, but simple boxes?
-Weave-

Christyrose

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I really believe you did the right thing, by working with the owner operator. The information given to you, was knowledgeable. I had to make a payment for something similar. It was shipperload/driver count. I did the best I could. They had stop the load, because they ran out of Pies.. when the Pies where finished and ready to load, I started the count. I swear, I was right on the count. When we got to the receiver some how 2 large boxes of Pecan Pies where missing!! I had to pay 65.00 for those miscounted pies!! Needless to say, I no longer bother with driver count loads, and I no longer work for that company. But, I learned a lesson from this, when picking up pies make sure its not near Thanksgiving!