ready to take the plunge

the federation

Expert Expediter
I have been reading the forums for the last few months trying to get as much info as possible from a wide variety of sources. Since I have come this far I think I hyave just about decided to take the plunge into expediting, my next step is to start talking to recruiters, I have narrowed my choices of companies to 3. They are Tri-State, Con-Way Now and LEA. My question is this should I submit applications to all 3 and get qualified with them or should I find a owner operator first? I am going to start with an owner operator first to make sure this is the right thing for myself and wife and then look at buying a truck. One other question I know there is a variet of opinions on this subject but I will ask one more time anyhow. Is there a big difference in the amount of possible loads available for a single d unit driver or a husband/wife team driving a van a unit.

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
> I have been reading the forums for the last few months
>trying to get as much info as possible from a wide variety
>of sources. Since I have come this far I think I hyave just
>about decided to take the plunge into expediting, my next
>step is to start talking to recruiters, I have narrowed my
>choices of companies to 3. They are Tri-State, Con-Way Now
>and LEA. My question is this should I submit applications to
>all 3 and get qualified with them or should I find a owner
>operator first? I am going to start with an owner operator
>first to make sure this is the right thing for myself and
>wife and then look at buying a truck. One other question I
>know there is a variet of opinions on this subject but I
>will ask one more time anyhow. Is there a big difference in
>the amount of possible loads available for a single d unit
>driver or a husband/wife team driving a van a unit.

Well as for submitting apps to the companys i would submit them to all and read what ever company has to offer.It is free and they are not pushy at all.This is what i did.As far as finding a owner/operator i would before you dive head first into this.The bad thing is alot of companies will make you come to there orientation before you can drive for a o/o.And as for the team thing it all depends on you and the company.Do you want longer runs then yes.Remember this is expediting and if its 1300 mile run then the company probably wont send a solo they want a team.But then agian if its only a couple hundred mile run then they all look at there solo drivers first.I have talked with all the companies and there isnt much difference in them its 6 and one 1/2 dozen to the other.Choose wisely where are you located.There are a bunch of ?s you should ask a recruiter.Dont be shy about them either.Say and ask what you want.Thats my opionion