Ready to Roll,,,,Just need a truck.

BKtour

Active Expediter
Just wanted to drop a line and say hello. Hopefully I will meet some of you at a truck stop or loading dock face to face soon. I've been lurking around here for about a year now and feel like I know some of you already. Thanks for all the informative posting. It has helped me make the decision to get into expediting.

I'm based out of Nashville and have been in the music business for 27 years and decided it's time for a change. I feel I've done my due diligence and learned as much as I can, a lot from reading your posts opening up situations I might not have thought of otherwise. I considered going the E rig route and many have asked why I don't consider driving a tour bus with the contacts I have and my my most simple reply is, in a tour bus your freight talks back to you.

I've decided to go the O/O route. All I need is a truck now, huh. I'm all set to go and approved by a carrier. Some good ole boys outside of Music City that I researched and feel I can trust. I've talked to drivers and O/O's and they have all verified what I was told by the carrier. My problem now is financing. I had a reasonably priced D unit picked out somebody ready to take a chance on me then all of a sudden that person just flaked out. Looking for other options now and hopefully soon something will pop. Although, I did find another truck with the owner willing to do an owner finance that seems like it will work. It's just more truck than I feel I will need. It's set up as a 52k gvw and of coarse comes with the added operating cost but still workable. I know it could open up my load options but really think I should stick to a 32k gvw D unit.

Well that's it for now. If any of you have any creative financing options feel free to contact me here.
All the best.
Stay safe.
Peace N Chicken Grease.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Credit for trucks is tight, particularly for newbs. No money and/or bad credit makes it worse. I don't know much in the way of being "creative" that would overcome that. Owner financing is not a good idea, but may be your only option based on the info here. Check the classifieds here and the truck paper and you may find someone willing to work with you. Have a lawyer go over the contract with you so you know what you're getting into.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
If money for a truck is not available and an owner does happen to work with you, then what are you going to do if said truck breaks down on the road? Just food for thought. And right now, my fuel costs can run around $1600 a week and if it is 2 weeks or more before you get a check, can you handle it? Persons not in this business are popeyed when I tell them my fuel costs per week. And I am in a straight truck, 8+ MPG.

BKtour

Active Expediter
Thanks for your input. The one thing my music biz experience that carries over to being an O/O is that I know how to plan. I've been 1099ed for almost all of my 27 years. I have a lot of experience as tour manager and along with that comes the responsibility of budgeting the tours. I have my finger on the pulse of expenses. I know what it's going to take to pit a tour bus out there as well as 18 wheelers so fuel costs don't shock me. If you have fuel costs that also means you have positive cash flow. The good thing about signing with the carrier I've chosen is that I have the option to use their fuel card program which also means I don't need a grocery bag full of money to get down the road. Costs will come out of the settlements three weeks down the road. That being said, one of my biggest fears are breakdowns and I've decided not head down the road without a cushion. I think this is one of the biggest points newbies tend to forget about or, just think it wont happen to them until they find themselves parked without the dime to fix whatever it is. I'm not one to take that kind of chance. Along with that, my business plan has built into it .09/mile just for maintenance. I should post a basic breakdown of my plan just to see what others think and see if I missed anything.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
As long as you have some kind of plan. You are doing right and it appears you do know something about the everyday costs of being out here. I hope nothing but the best for you. The fuel card thing is an important feature of some carriers. I have said it before and I say again, there is so many different ways to do this job. Determination goes a long way sometimes. I believe you have it going in your direction. Good luck! I live Nashville area myself also.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
In case you havent, I would suggest that use the search function at the top of the page. See if you can pull up any information on your prospective carrier. I know there was a recent discussion of one who I think is based in your area. They were not paying well at all. Just be sure to double check. Ive had drivers tell me good things about carriers before too, then the next month their switched to a new carrier and have nothing good to say about the old one. Just a heads up.

As for your truck. Im not sure how your getting 52k gvw, but a tandem drive axle is the way to go for general freight. You will get some good paying loads with the right carrier because you can carry more weight than the 32k lb trucks. That same load might be the one that gets you out of a bad area. Ive had both. Go with the heavier gvw.

IF (and thats a big IF) the fuel card works as you say and IF your carrier pays on time, you can probably get by on $5k-$10k in pocket money. If anything goes bad....including the economy and/or freight cycle, you could need alot more. Most on here suggest having 6 months of expenses set aside.

There is a lot of information in the archives here. Use the search function and dig it up.

Good Luck!

denny2010

Expert Expediter
Why not try and drive for owner? Big difference in music career and driving a truck. But while u sit at truck stop maybe play some tunes. Extra money.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums