Re: Detroiter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well the manager went and done it! He closed the restuarant for the night shift! Said he was losing money Gee I wonder why? Food was not great ( instant potatoes) and OVER priced. And some of the staff lacked basic verbal skills. He shoulda asked the drivers what THEY thought would make it ok.
I.E. reduced menu, a cook that also served at least in the middle of the night on a cold and rainy day ya could sit and shoot the breeze over coffee. In his defense maybe he's just following a Citgo edict? Hes a nice guy BUT I don't think they thought this one through.
BTW: Van-drivers theres a place just over the bridge on the right just past Mcd's called Millies Restuarant. Breakfast is the standard menu but only 2.99 until 11am and then 3.99 after... beats 5.95 at Detroiter and it's brighter and staff friendly. And bottomless coffee as well.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi, OVM

When is the nightshift? After 11:00pm? Geesh, hard to believe they were loosing money. I mean that sincerely. They really are the "only game in town" in that area for trucks aren't they? We usually stay up the street at that Meijers store and I am known to be too cheap to eat out, so...lol

mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah they are in that area for you bigger trucks other then down in Monroe County at the Pilot...We shop at that Miejers often! Seen a Panther there a couple weeks ago! maybe was you guys???

Ohhh and also to be fair..he said he'd been held-up twice in the month.
but that doesn't make sense to me..the fuel stop and showers are still open and there'd be far great money there than the restaurant.

Ken and JuJu!

P.S. I see on the J web site Monroe is future location Thank goodness a place other than I94 at Dexter E169 or Stoney Ridge to go online!

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I stay at the Meyers as well. I found that if I stay there at the parking lot I can do all my shopping and my laundry, it's just like a Wal-Mart Super Center. There's a laundry mat right in front of Meyers, they're only open until 930-10 pm, but if you're nice the folks will let you finish your loads if you're out by 11pm. Lots of machines-even the big ones to wash quilts and sleeping bags. There's a Subway in the same plaza as the laundry mat too. No waiting for an empty machine at the truck stop. And there's Dunkin' Doughnuts right by the meyers too! I drive for Panther...

By the way McBrides...hi! Hope all is well, Bob.

P.S. Mcbrides...am going to Alumi-Bunk's Canada facility for the truck repairs/work to get everything done in one shot.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey Big Bus Bob

>P.S. Mcbrides...am going to Alumi-Bunk's Canada facility for
>the truck repairs/work to get everything done in one shot.

Make sure you talk to US Customs about taking your rig to Canada for repairs/alterations. I know that here in Canada, duty is sometimes payable on repairs;other than On The Road emergencies; performed outside the country. I don't what the US Customs regs are, but it wouldn't hurt to check first.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Well the manager went and done it! He closed the restuarant
>for the night shift!>I.E. reduced menu, a cook that also served at least in the
>middle of the night on a cold and rainy day ya could sit and
>shoot the breeze over coffee.

Isn't there a Tim Hortons in the area?
To sit in all night and shoot the breeze over coffee.

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
I can't believe they did that! (Actually as much as I loathe the Detroiter yes I can...lol)

The last year or so I was driving I started going to the TA in Monroe, MI (I-75 Exit #15) FECC never said I couldn't go there so I assumed it was OK. The TnA isn't the greatest either but the prices were cheaper than the Detroiter (Shocking but true:7 )

When I did stay at the Detroiter years ago I would go to the Meijers, get what I needed and then bend over and pay their "Security" fee.

Also next to the Meijers is a White Castle/Churchs chicken. You can get a D unit in there if you park in the back. They are also open 24 hours.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good News...Just got an ad from FlyingJ! Permit pending...i75 Munroe!!
And Canada...QEW at e78 Fruitland Rd Exit Permit pending.