QUESTIONS FROM THE MECHANICALLY "DE"CLINED..LOL

zingfu25

Expert Expediter
LET ME START OFF BY SAYING THAT I KNOW HOW TO PUT FUEL, OIL, WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID, AND CAPABLE OF DOING A PRE TRIP INSPECTION. THE LIST ENDS THERE. SOME OF MY QUESTIONS MAY SOUND LIKE THEY ARE COMING FROM MY 6-YEAR OLD NEPHEW BUT ITS REALLY ME..LOL.
QUESTION #1
THREE LIGHTS BEHIND MY GAUGES (AIR, TEMP, AND OIL PRESSURE BLEW OUT). I REMOVED THE PANEL TO FIND THAT I WOULD NEED TO DISCONNECT THE WIRING HARNESSES AND , IF I REMEMBER RIGHT, A PLASTIC FILM OR SOMETHING COVERING THE BACK TO GET TO THE LIGHTS. CAN I DO THIS WITHOUT BURNING OUT ALL KINDS OF SENSORS AND STUFF? I WOULDNT HAVE TO HAVE THE TRUCK PUT ON THE COMPUTER TO GET EVERYTHING RE-SYNC'D, WOULD I? AND WHAT KIND OF BULBS ARE THEY?
QUESTION# 2
I HAVE HAD 2 FUEL INJECTORS GO BAD BEFORE AND DIDNT KNOW ANY BETTER BY THE SIGNS OF STINKY, WHITE SMOKE EXHAUST. THIS CAUSED THE FUEL TO GO IN WITH THE OIL, THIN THE OIL OUT, AND THEN COME OUT THE OIL PAN GASKET AND GO EVERYWHERE. QUESTION IS.. NOW I HAVE STINKY EXHAUST ALL THE TIME AND ONLY WHITE SMOKE WHEN I START THE TRUCK! BAD INJECTORS AGAIN OR SOMETHING ELSE?? THANKS..
P.S. I MIGHT KEEP YOU REAL BUSY ANSWERING QUESTIONS WEAVE...I HAVE A MILLION OF THEM...JUST A COUPLE TO START..LOL

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Bulb me

For the instrument bulbs, you should see black plastic caps that twist out, and the bulb comes out with these caps. The bulb itself then will pull out of the cap. The bulb number will be on the bulb, they are usually 94's, available at Wal-Mart or the truckstop. That's an easy job, and you shouldn't ruin anything. I found if you keep the dash lamps dimmed a bit with the dimmer control, the bulbs don't get as hot and last a lot longer.
Your smoke problem is another fine aspect I just LOVE about the CAT 3126- It's crappy oil powered fuel injectors. It's just so sweet when their seals blow out and they suck engine oil into the fuel tanks through the fuel return. Really, the ##### who designed the CAT 3126 should be forced to own one for a while! He'll then hang himself, which he should.
Anyhow, to the problem... if there is a lot of white smoke, that is a good sign of weak injectors. It can also be a sign of a weak or damaged turbocharger. What I have been recommending to all who have one or two bad injectors on a 3126 is to just bite the bullet and relace all 6, and save yourself grief down the road. I've been doing the best I can to help those who own 3126 powered trucks to get the most life out of it as possible.
-Weave-

zingfu25

Expert Expediter
RE: Bulb me

WEAVE I APPRECIATE THE HELP...I'LL LOOK TODAY FOR THE TWIST OUT BULBS YOU MENTIONED. AS FOR THE ENGINE PROBLEM I LISTED, YOUR ADVICE WAS GREAT BUT I HAVE A 250 CUMMINS ISC,(SORRY SHOULD HAVE MENTIONED THAT). PROBABLY STILL INJECTORS THOUGH RIGHT? I'LL ALSO MENTION THAT WHEN I START THE TRUCK AFTER A FEW DAYS HOME...IT WILL ROCK AND SHAKE, LOL, UNTIL AFTER THE WHITE SMOKE CLEARS FROM THE EXHAUST.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Bulb me

Sorry I just presumed you had a 3126 as they have a lot of injector problems. Most early issue 1999 Cummins ISC's have bad injection pumps. That was the first year they used the CAPS computer controlled pump, and if yours hasn't been replaced yet it will more than likely eventually die. Most of them did die early and were covered under warranty. What I think happened was the driven gear would wear quickly or break. That you stated the truck runs rough after sitting for a few days, I'm going to guess your fuel injection system has a small leak in it somewhere, possibly in the pump, and air is getting into it when the engine is shut down and cools. I would take it into Cummins and have them test the pump (they can look up a lot of things on the diagnostic computer) plus test all the injectors and lines and check for leakage. Might be a good idea to do this before it decides to quit altogether out on the road. What must have happened before was one of the injectors stuck open and flooded the cylinder with fuel, then the fuel got into the oil through the piston ring end gaps. Messy! -Weave-