Pros and Cons of Signing a Contract

gargamel

New Recruit
Driver
In my particular case, I'll be running in a Sprinter owned by a single person, for their LLC. I am his only driver.

With regard to intentions and character, both he and I are honest and 100% transparent individuals.

That said, we discussed things and came to the conclusion that the benefits and freedoms of not having a contract, slightly outweigh having one.

Pros for the driver:
No forced dispatching, nor schedules.
No liability, for anything, on their part.
Possible tax benefits.

Please lost some unbiased pros and cons of your own, to better help me, and anyone else who might read this, make an informed decision.

Thank you

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In my particular case, I'll be running in a Sprinter owned by a single person, for their LLC. I am his only driver.

With regard to intentions and character, both he and I are honest and 100% transparent individuals.

That said, we discussed things and came to the conclusion that the benefits and freedoms of not having a contract, slightly outweigh having one.

Pros for the driver:
No forced dispatching, nor schedules.
No liability, for anything, on their part.
Possible tax benefits.

Please lost some unbiased pros and cons of your own, to better help me, and anyone else who might read this, make an informed decision.

Thank you
Due to many legal issues too numerous to discuss here, you are playing with fire without a contract.
This industry is chock-full of people like yourself that trusted the vehicle owner by a handshake.
Spend sometime reading through the newbie section and you will see what I'm talking about.

Protect yourself.... Get a contract.

gargamel

New Recruit
Driver
Thank you, I will research it more.

Because this is a forum, built for discussion, I was hoping to do just that though, discuss.

In my case, because the owner is paying for everything; fuel, tolls, maintenance, repairs. And because he added me to his insurance, handed me both a fuel card and company credit card. And because he too is taking a huge risk by allowing me to use his vehicle, and all while creating my own schedule, I can't think of a down side other than a non-payment, at which time I would resign immediately.

Can anyone please provide me with specific potential cons?