Possibly another reason for Slow Freight

Ram_ma_Ram_pa

Expert Expediter
I've been watching the posts up here for the last several months and it seems as though no one has a clue as to whats been happening in the Expediting business these last few months.Lets see if we can analize what the problem might be, if indeed there is a single problem at fault.
Let's say that I've owned an Expedited Freight Company for a few years now and I've done quite well with the customers that I've had for a number of years,but my competitor has been making more money than I because he started Brokering most of his loads out to other carriers,
He lost quite a few trucks but overall he's done Real well.
Why did'nt I think of that, so I hire a few salesmen and they find us a lot of contracts that I can now broker out to these other starving Trucking Companies, Wow this is easy, I don't have to use our leased drivers and there is hardly any Liability on my part just make sure that the freight gets where it's supposed to go and On Time of course, I sure wish those 10 leased truckers that I had, would have stayed a little longer as Things are picking up why I've just hired 6 more salesmen to find more freight, Man I should have done this years ago.
Yup now we've got more freight than we can handle,thank god there's all those Backup carriers
out there, Fred our Top Salesman, said that he's made more contacts in Maine than he ever thought possible picked up 23 new accounts this last month alone, I sure wish a few of those were back here in our normal freight lanes as we had another 8 leased driver leave us this last week alone, but the last few months have been the best revenue producing months we've had all year, I wonder why they keep quitting Don't they realize how profitiable it's been, why we even sent letters telling them about the wealth of new customers we've gotten contracts with, they just don't seem to understand business very well or they would have stayed a little longer.

Ok are you getting the picture, What with almost every Major Expediting Company out there
Brokering their loads elsewhere and reducing their Liability at the same time and being able
to do so with Fewer Trucks they wo'nt feel the pinch or pain that we do and are still doing rather well for themselves.Yes the economy is bad, and we just went thru a presidentcial
election, and the possibility of war and there may also be a few other underlying problems but I do believe this Plays a Major Role in the Scheme of things as they are at present. Could get worse, Pray that it get Better.

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Right on Ram-pa! With a few minor points put into the mix, you have zeroed in on something that alot of people don´t understand or are unwilling to accept. The trucking companies like any other business, including the o&o, have to look out for number one, to survive and/ or grow. In many cases companies must pay investors, and if they don´t keep that dividend up, then the CEO will be looking for another position. The bottom line is that none of us, that are in business, are our brother´s keeper. The o&o needs to look for new solutions and ideas just like the company. They try to placate each other for business reasons only, not because they are Santa Claus. Some should read that old business primer "The Peter Principle". In it, the theory is that we all rise to our own level of incompetence. Then the whining starts.

phaljean

Expert Expediter
RE: ON TIME

So tell me what is the name of your company Ram-pa,sounds like you may have on time issues using all those brokers????