plates

finbar1

Expert Expediter
I asked a question before about how often you have to renew plates, and I got my answer, but I forgot to ask how much plates cost, say I get them from Oklahoma. any help would be helpfull

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The cost of the plates depends on the miles you have run or plan to run throughout the US and Canada. I assume you will be getting apportioned plates. This means a certain amount of your registration fee will be paid to states other then Oklahoma based on the miles you have operated or intend to operate in that sate. There is an agency that many of use in Oklahoma. It is called Fern Bennet Agency and her staff can help you in obtaining truck registration and plates. Their phone number is 1-405-376-4075. If your truck is under 26,000 pounds gross you may not need to be apportioned,just go with your home state and get permits for the other states. However if you are buying a new truck Oklahoma does not charge sales tax that other states do.This can be a significant savings..

G

Michigan doesn't charge sales tax either, providing you get an IRP plate. Our truck is 26,000 lbs, so we could have gotten a GVW plate, but then would have had to pay sales tax on it (Almost $4,000). Our plate is about $500/year, however we're not plated for the far west states. Thanks, Gary (our sales rep) for clueing us in.