Paying taxes

Roadpilot

Expert Expediter
I've been doing this for six months now and I'll ask before the taxman cometh. How do you make a quarterley tax payment to the IRS, Social Security,etc.? I've been setting money aside for taxes (around 17% of gross) since I started, but I wanted to know:

1) How do I estimate and pay my taxes now ( or should I just wait for EOY?)

2) Am I taking out enough for taxes?

3) How do the tax deductions for operating expenses figure in to taxes for filing jointly?

4) What is a "typical" penalty for paying at years end as opposed to quarterly?

I am a married, independent contractor with my own vehicle, no employees or helpers.

Roadpilot

Expert Expediter
Frank,

Thanks for the reply. My wife is still employed and this past tax year I paid taxes to no one ( I was on unemployment for the first 4 months of 2005)

Roadpilot

Expert Expediter
>
>I am a married, independent contractor with my own vehicle,
>no employees or helpers.
>
>First of all,before we go any further.
>
>1. Did you work for anyone on a full time basis and received
>a salary with taxes taken out of your pay?.
>2. Is your wife still employed?
>
My wife is still employed. I collected unemployment for the first 4 months of 2005.

>1) How do I estimate and pay my taxes now ( or should I just
>wait for EOY?)
>
>A.)IF any of the first 2 question I had for you is yes,
>Then, this year there are no estimated taxes that will be
>due unless you want to make some.
>
>2) Am I taking out enough for taxes?
>
>A.) If you are saving a certain amount every week from your
>settlement that is fine, Normally, it would only be 10% of
>the total settlemetn not counting your deductions. You
>really do not have to for this year.

Q.)For next tax year, what taxes would be due or how would things change? Taking out 10% still figure in or will the taxes change after the first year of business operation?

>
>3) How do the tax deductions for operating expenses figure
>in to taxes for filing jointly?
>
>A.) The deduction are figured on a Sch C. Profit or loss
>from Business under a sole propreitorship. after deductions
>all your espenses from your gross income will show either
>profit or loss and be carried over to the first page of the
>1040 in the income section, If you make a profit the Social
>Security Tax will show on page 2 of the 1040
>
>4) What is a "typical" penalty for paying at years end as
>opposed to quarterly?
>
>A.) Basically there is no penalty for paying at the end of
>the year if
>if you owe tax, only if you substanually under estimate what
>you owe.
>example, you figure you owe about %1000 in tax, maybe $25.
>its only a small percentage for under extimating you tax.
>like around 15%.
>But you should not owe any tax or owe very little in the
>way of tax owed the first year. if you do owe any it will be
>Social security, and not Federal tax.
>
>Basically it would depent on who prepares your return.
>there are items that are deductiable to you and not to
>others by being a trucker. make sure you find someone who
>knows trucking period, Even if you ask some they will say
>that they do trucking, but ask for some of there clients to
>find out if they are satified with there work, Even very few
>CPA;s actually know the trucking industry. so make sure. I
>have had to amend Truck drivers returns due to persons who
>did not know the actual deduction that drivers are entitled
>to. and a lot of them hae been CPA's.
>
>Frank

I am considering the purchase of a new van. As I read the Section 179 deduction, if I take the full depreciation once, I cannot depreciate the vehicle any further. Can I still claim mileage?

Roadpilot

Expert Expediter
If I want to pay into Social Security, how do I figure the amount and how do I make a payment?

One last thing. How long can you NOT show a profit for? Isn't there some limit to how long you can not be profitable according to the IRS?

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Roadpilot

In answer to your message:
I've been doing this for six months now and I'll ask before the taxman cometh. How do you make a quarterley tax payment to the IRS, Social Security,etc.? I've been setting money aside for taxes (around 17% of gross) since I started, but I wanted to know:

3) How do the tax deductions for operating expenses figure in to taxes for filing jointly?

I am a married, independent contractor with my own vehicle, no employees or helpers.

First of all,before we go any further.

1. Did you work for anyone on a full time basis and received a salary with taxes taken out of your pay?.
2. Is your wife still employed?

A.)IF any of the first 2 question I had for you is yes, Then, this year there are no estimated taxes that will be due unless you want to make some.

A.) If you are saving a certain amount every week from your settlement that is fine, Normally, it would only be 10% of the total settlemetn not counting your deductions. You really do not have to for this year.

A.) The deduction are figured on a Sch C. Profit or loss from Business under a sole propreitorship. after deductions all your espenses from your goss income will show either profit or loss and be carried over to the first page of the 1040 in the income section, If you make a profit the Social Security Tax will show on page 2 of the 1040

A.) Basically there is no penalty for paying at the end of the year if
if you owe tax, only if you substanually under estimate what you owe.
example, you figure you owe about %1000 in tax, maybe $25. its only a small percentage for under extimating you tax. like around 15%.
But you should not owe any tax or owe very little in the way of tax owed the first year. if you do owe any it will be Social security, and not Federal tax.

Basically it would depent on who prepares your return. there are items that are deductiable to you and not to others by being a trucker. make sure you find someone who knows trucking period, Even if you ask some they will say that they do trucking, but ask for some of there clients to find out if they are satified with there work, Even very few CPA;s actually know the trucking industry. so make sure. I have had to amend Truck drivers returns due to persons who did not know the actual deduction that drivers are entitled to. and a lot of them hae been CPA's.

Frank

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Roadpilot,

According to your additional answers and questions

My wife is still employed. I collected unemployment for the first 4 months of 2005.

Q") If I want to pay into Social Security, how do I figure the amount and how do I make a payment?

A) If i am not getting two personal What Tax status is you wife claiming at work that she put on the W-4 at the beginning of the year.

Married 0, or other

Since you were on unemployment with no federal or state tax taken out
I would suggest making an estimated payment on form 1040es, there was a payment due Sept. 15th, then the next payment would be January 17th 2006
Goto [www.irs.gov] when the page opens on the left side click on forms and publications, then click on forms and instructions. in the box on the bottom find 2005- 1040ES click on that and you will find a .pfd.file, this is adobe aerobat reader, if you have it in your Pc you should have no problem with the download. there you will find the estimiated payment vouchers and addresses for your state to send to the IRS office. In order to find your State Estimated payment forms, use the search engine and go there for there forms. and make that estimated payment to them as well.

The amount that I would suggest paying is $1000.00 and the check should be made out to the "US Treasury"with your SSN and 2005on the check so that it can be credited to your account. and sent to the correct address stated in the instruction for your state. And also send $500.00 to your state Dept of Revenue with the same information on the check.. This at least will give you a credit towards your taxes plus whatever your wife already paid in on her w-2. just incase you are underestimating what and if you owe taxes.

Q.)For next tax year, what taxes would be due or how would things change? Taking out 10% still figure in or will the taxes change after the first year of business operation?
I am considering the purchase of a new van. As I read the Section 179 deduction, if I take the full depreciation once, I cannot depreciate the vehicle any further. Can I still claim mileage?

A) For tax year 2006 it will change quite a bit if you continue to stay in business. if you are considering purchasing a new vehicle, the 179 full depreciation can be taken for 2005 but not for 2006. it go back to a max of $25,000 and the balance would be depreciated at straight line depreciation over 5 years. whioch means if you want to take advantage of it you must purchase it this year. And yes, once you depreciate the complete vehicle, you have nothing left for the following years, As far a mileage is concerned, that cannot be taken if you use the depreciation method. You cannot take both. it is either mileage or actual depreciation methods.

Q)One last thing. How long can you NOT show a profit for? Isn't there some limit to how long you can not be profitable according to the IRS?

A) There really is no set limit on how long that you show no profit, but 5 years is about average. the only problem is that the loss has to reduce down toward a profit each year.

If you have any additonal question please do not hesitate to ask, I will be happy to try and answer all of them.

Frank
Frank's Tax & business Service
(704) 739-4039
Fax: (704) 739-3934