own authority

msdelaware

Expert Expediter
I'm interseted in anyone out there running on their own authority. I've just about had it with the company I'm leased to. Sitting at some truckstop for days, then moving hundreds of miles to chase some freight & sit some more. I would like to know ,how you get your freight, how much it costs to get the authority & wo you contact to do it, ect..... any input would be great. p.s I run a "B" unit.

bob124

Expert Expediter
I have been told it is about $1,100.00 plus insurance. Check out
www.OOIDA.com , this is an organization that can help you with the details.

Later, bob124

Twistoff

Expert Expediter
With having 1 truck on the road & it being a "b" unit, the benefits of having your own authorities are really non existant. The hassle outweighs the benefits.

msdelaware

Expert Expediter
Thanks for your answers. I'm currently with LEA. I've been in the Landstar sytem for 5 yrs. Two of those with Inway. It looks like I just may have to go back to T/T driving to make it out here. I live in the mid -atlantic states & there isn't any LEA freight here. I'm just getting tired of avoiding the bill collectors.

Twistoff

Expert Expediter
Do you go into Canada? The LEA Agent in Canada needs trucks that will take their freight into Canada. They also have Intra US loads so keep in touch with YXU,TOL,CLT & AGS. If you can keep busy utlizing those 4 Agents, you will be successful. Using any other Agent is a bonus. Trust me when I say all Agents with LEA work extremely hard to find freight for LEA trucks. They have to or they don't make any money, just like you.

msdelaware

Expert Expediter
Yeah , I know about CLT & AGS, 80% of my freight comes from them. AGS used to be just about all I would run, but things have changed in this area. Just today while I was in the john got a call from MSP, told them I would take the load, but will call right back. With in 3 minutes it was given to someone else. Excuse me but the fact I committed myself to the load means nothing to these agents anymore.

sini

Expert Expediter
`started out in 97 with FED-UP ran with them for 2yrs. money was good
but got tired of sitting around waiting for TPS loads and DH 1000 mi.
home everyother weekend. have always been selfemployed so I went out and got own authority. not to expensive (under $1000) It was hard starting out finding work( in mich. everything is auto related and that freight is all locked up. but finally got foot in a couple of local doors. running 3 trucks now and have been real busy this fall.
It has its pros ( home every nite, set my own prices, home weekends
own boss again, shorter deadheads) and cons (higher insurance,more
employee expences,more truck expences, collecting bills.
Money wise I was probably better off with one truck leassed on, but at least I have a home life again.

PS: if you want to save 20% on prepaid fuel cards call me @ 800-278-
0876 ($200 card for $160)

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It takes alot of work and dedication to run your own business. First and formost you have to know what it is your doing. Not every Tom-#####- and Harry, that gets pissed off because they have to sit and wait on a load, day after day can go out and start thier own business. As Sini stated there are pros, and cons. I think the first thing you mite want to do is some research on the laws of running a business, useing B units, because it's evident from your question that you don't have a clue. I won't elaborate on it any more but if you research the archives then you'll know what I mean. If you have been around for the five years that you stated, then you should know that all those bigger companies are all the same, Some people sit and some people deliver.

Hey sini if you are selling those fuel cards Please drop me a line or two regaurding the cards.Thanks.

KandS2

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Also, get out to RFD (Rockford). They are always going through vans. Quite a few vans go there, take a load, and deadhead right back because they know they will get something else. My husband (a D) talked to the van drivers out there when he was there. I myself (a B) am in PA most of the time, and do short runs, then dh home.

Stay safe out there!:)