Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way

GUS-D

Seasoned Expediter
Hello-- I was a owner operator of a 75 ft. commercial fishing trawler for 38 years. Retired, hurricane helped. I have a CDL, hazmat, tanker, doubles endorsements. Have about 2 months over the road with Warner. I had a crane truck in my fishing business, and did all of my own mechanical stuff. Can fix most anything. I am living on the West Coast, San Luis Obispo. Any advice on getting started in expediting in this current economy. Gus-D

Darmstadter

Veteran Expediter
Read through some of the old posts out here. Most expedite companies use owner operators. If you don't currently own your own truck, you should be able to find a good deal on a newer used one. Talk to recruiters, but more importantly--try to talk to drivers for that company. Everyone's experience will be a little different. Also--know what your operating cost is. Keep in mind that when a carrier tells you what they pay per mile---there are a ton of other cost variables involved. Do they pay anything on deadhead miles, relocating, what fees they have, do you have to go through their insurance, etc.

The OOIDA has a good excel file that helps break down operating cost.

https://www.ooida.com/Education&BusinessTools/Trucking_Tools/costpermile.shtml

Best of luck!