North Dakota Oil

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Oil Boom: See A Modern-Day Gold Rush In Motion : NPR

An expediter friend just called me from N.D. Ran 1600 miles to get there, now deadheading back 300 miles to Fargo. While he was at his delivery point , he got this info.......truck drivers running tankers start out at 45 dollars an hour, 7 days a week at 10 hour days,,,do the math on that one at 70 hr per week.....big bucks..

Walmart sign he read. 14 dollars an hour for cashiers, automotive at Walmart pays 15 dollars an hour.

There are a lot of drawbacks and we never see those that quit after a month or so, but if your young,,probably under 45, you could do it, but it would be rough...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
and the Value Inn?....where rooms down here are like $169-$199 per week.....sign said last time thru there...$699 a WEEK!!! Big money my butt....Case of Coke at the Walmart there was $8.99

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Yep id say unless you have a house in area or a friend good luck finding housing I thought about doing it while back ago I found expediting which works for me

Sent from my SPH-L520 using EO Forums mobile app

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I think expediters are way to old for that game in N.D. Like I said, it really is a young mans/womans game up there, rough area, rough living quarters and its not for the faint at heart. The lure of over 12,000 bucks a month may soon fade when you are so tired you can't remember your name. Expediting is for us that like naps and such....

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well I know of a Person that's in North Dakota and was in Texas as well doing that. Still is. There is another that was my Co Driver that got on with a company up there and gets full benefits and don't have to pay for a room and all as its part of the pay package. Yes making good money that true. But as was stated to me Food Rents for a Room Kill the money quick. The talk of greener Grass on the other side once u get there the Brown shows. My Ex Co driver went through 3 different companies up there and finally got what they were looking for. Good Pay Free Rent and The Medical they needed and you cant get that from an Independent Co. Also the Gear and all the other crap that goes with it if you Drive for an Independent money lost. IF you get on with a Company up there then many bennies you get. I'd do it if I found the right Company. Free Housing and Good Pay and they provide the gear. Yes I do it. BUT not with a Fly by Night Independent. Peace.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been up in that area a few times. Been fortunate enough to get loaded out. Most recently in Dec, got loaded out of Saskatoon. It's slim pickings ... so for those that are prudent, get your DH $ out on the load going in.
It really does feel like a wild west boomtown. Economics 101: Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Workers make $, but all the businesses/companies in the area price their goods & services accordingly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/14/opinion/running-on-fumes-in-north-dakota.html