Canada Newbie getting the biz

kenworthman1

Active Expediter
I'm seriously thinking of going into expediting as a new career change and I'm a newbie

I recieved a call from a Canadian company (TST Expedited) today. They will take myself and my van on with them

offering....

Mile rates loaded and empty
fuel card (with discounts)
Truck maintenance discount
bridge card
Fleet insurance rates at 2%
plates paid
all tolls and bridge crossings paid
Health benefits package

I have to admit this is a big step up from moving as where I work from job to job (paying helpers and fuel along the way) and after doing local courier/delivery work for 6 weeks realizing how much fuel I spent in order to make a "decent" living.

As an owner/operator the biggest obsticles are the fuel, insurance and budgeting your money properly.

Fuel is expensive all the way around either it being a deisel or gas job.

PLEASE NOTE: I have had commercial insurance since 1999 on one cube van until 2007 when my wife purchased a cube van too....we sold the cub vans earlier this year and left on great terms with the insurance company.

The van (2003 Ford E150) is a small $4,000.00 investment. My insurance company has me covered bumper to bumper anywhere in Canada and the US for $112.00 per month.

I have a clean driving record with no accidents or infractions.

What will the company insurance be like??

I look at it this way.......

I didn't go chest deep in truck payments on a new van (around $26,000.00) or a bigger truck than the cube vans we had. I almost did and the temptation was there for that newer flashy truck, but I remembered what my late father told me......there are good used trucks out there that can do the same job as any new truck can as long as you take good care of them.

Any advice from anyone who does this for a living......expediting as an owner/operator?

Clyde

Last edited:

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Ya sure the call was from TST Overland?
I wasnt aware they ran vans..Im thinking Overland is all 53fts??

Shah786

Seasoned Expediter
Don't no much about Vans or what they make problem with cube van is u can pick up a load normal size van cant width or height wise but you will still get paid as a van.