New from Unicell?

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Hi Tazman,
What new configurations did the people from Unicell tell you they were coming out with in the near future?

tazman

Expert Expediter
They are working on an Aerocell for a dually configuration similar to the single rear wheel units.....

At the show they showed a new "contractor type" configuration on their non-aerocell body....this on may offer a wider setup ....
So far they have not agreed to provide a 102" wide setup because of the frame issues on a Chevy/GMC or Ford.....

What type of product are you looking for ??? They are pretty flexible on some products ....

Frank in Pa.
"The Beast in the East"

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>So far they have not agreed to provide a 102" wide setup
>because of the frame issues on a Chevy/GMC or Ford.....
>
>What type of product are you looking for ??? They are
>pretty flexible on some products ....

What is the problem with a 102" setup? Is it because of the axle width? I guess I just don't understand...My spouse said I just can't seem to take "no" for an answer. I still just can't understand why it is such a problem. The unit itself could even be flared out to the overall rear width of 102" this might even cut down with wind. My argument to him is that we got to build the sleeper we have now! AND afford it. We were one of the first people with alumi-bunk to even have a shower put in a truck...and have a sleeper 102" wide. So...my thought is nothing is impossible.

My concept ideal is to have a unit about 21' - 22' long with inside cargo are dimensions of 4'6" to 5' x 96" to 98". The rear dually axle placement would be about 2'6" to 3' from the rear. This would keep the freight weight on the rear axle. The cargo area would have roof/ceiling storage capabilities and possibly would be able to house a central air unit similar to those found in camper vans for the sleeper area. We are short,therefore, headroom is not an issue so we would raise the level of the bunk/sleeper and use the underlying area for a generator (we have spec'd small rv generators already), inverter, converter, wiring, plumbing etc. It would be similar to how they use the bilge area on a boat. The front seats would be able to swivel inward to a round removable table for a dining area. We would use the overhead cab area for a mini entertainment center. (tv, disc player etc) We would use a bench like seat similar to those used in conversion vans currently that fold down to a full/queen bed.

Oh...I don't know...beating a dead horse and just dreaming I guess. These are just a few of my ideas.... :7

TimmB

Expert Expediter
mcbride;

I was reading your post when I remembered something I saw at:

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/...d=on3ywgc0&pcid=90232&etid=1&OHID=666473&nh=0

I was just envisioning a custom sleeper in place of 9' of that box, flared out to 96" or 102'??? Then a small custom box to your specs at the tail of the 14' of frame that this Sprinter comes with. I have no clue as to what it would all weigh when finished, but to stay under 10,000lbs, it is the only chassis I have seen that MAY work.

Just dreaming along with you here!! Good Luck.....

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi TimmB,

I appreciate another dreamer....

I think the design I have in mind will look more like a spaceship! :7 I have seen small motorhomes shaped kinda what I am looking for too!

tazman

Expert Expediter
Wow !!!
Lot of things to digest..

The 102 width issue is a directly tied to the frame width of the truck typically 34"....Engineers have figured that hauling cargo using an 85" height unit will become unstable over an 8' box...

I just thought of something...go to the Supreme body website they have a unit on a E-350 or E-450 chassis with a rear jump set configuration...it take up about 2 feet and then leaves 12' for cargo..
This may be a way to achieve what you are wanting to do

Cab to axle lengths are also critical most cutaway units are 80"CA or 100"CA...they are setup when you specify the body length...mostly for balancing the cargo load.....
I use a computer modeling program that GM developed for specing my ISUZU NPR's...it will calculate the load placement when you input info like the body length, cargo, liftgates, etc.... you get the picture.....I have always found that the recommended cargo placement is almost never sitting over the axles...but ahead of them for optimum load balancing...

Bottom line is that all this stuff affect the running of the truck (i.e. fuel usage)

I have a client that runs Unicell 14' box vans with E-450 chassis (gas V-10). They run from Chicago to Miami and across and north to PA.....about 50,000/year/truck...They use the trucks for rolling shops...about 4000 in constant weight....Gas mileage on these units is about 6-8 mpg....
They have 1 Powerstroke 7.3 and it gets about 9 tops....

Well anyway....I support your idea...I'm just not convinced that a cutaway truck is the answer...

Cheers!!!

Frank in Pa.

"The Beast in the East":)

tazman

Expert Expediter
Hi,

I saw this chassis in Baltimore last week...I think if you look closely you will see that the body and the cab are separate ( i.e. not a cutaway)
Dodge is trying to break into the market with this unit...using for a stake body or a small dump etc....
They do not have a cutway in the product line to attach cab to body at this time....

My gut feeling after driving these units is that they are not designed for this type of application...the GM's and Fords chassis are way ahead...but you never know !!!!

"The Beast in the East":D

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Frank, hi again,

>Well anyway....I support your idea...I'm just not convinced
>that a cutaway truck is the answer...

I am not sure of what the term cutaway truck means...:7 We used to have motorhomes/boats and what I am talking about is more of a transvan/explorer type looking thing. You know with a 1 ton van front, not necessarily a box like setup but a molded type design. BUT, fiberglass is so much heavier, hmmm. I have gotten so worked up about this that I think I am going to start calling around and find out who makes what with regard to "shells" for these motorhomes/rv's.

tazman

Expert Expediter
Hi,

There are 3 types of chassis: cutaway,stripped and chassis/cab...

The basic difference is that the cutaway means just that "cutaway"
The unit has all the things in the cab portion of the truck but about 18" behind the seats the van is "cutaway" exposing the chassis..
This allows you to put a box ( cargo or motorhome, ambulance etc).
And then be able to pass through to the rear....

As opposed to a stripped chassis that has a nothing on the front just a bare engine and steering column.....and you build from there...
( i.e. a bread truck or newspaper delivery truck or a class A type motorhome).

There is one other type unit it's a chassis/cab...This is very similar to a cutaway except the rear is enclosed with no access to the rear body.....(i.e. a dump truck or a stake body)
These are not very popular and exist in smaller numbers

Dodge (freightliner) has a chassis/cab unit like the one pictured in an earlier response.....

Chevy/GMC just doe DRW cutaways or stripped chassis

P.S. - Only Ford does single rear wheel cutaway units as of this time.
Also Ford GVWR numbers are as follows:

138"WB SRW - 9600#
138"WB DRW - 10700#
158"WB DRW - 11500#
176"WB DRW - 11500# - this is just a stretched frame of the 158"

I hope I'm being helpful....

Ciao!!!
Frank in Pa.

"The Beast in the East"