Need Opinion on 1999 Chevrolet 3500 Van

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Hey Weave, (or anyone else with knowledge!)

I'm looking at a van from a local private party and since I am not familiar with Chevy vans, I need your opinion.

It's a 1999 Chevrolet 3500(1 ton) Extended

6.5 liter diesel
Automatic with Cruise, tilt and air
42,100 miles (original purchaser)
Oil changed every 3,000 miles.
New 245/75/16 Tires 1200 miles ago
New brake pads 400 miles ago
All maintenance records since new

Asking $12,500.

My thought so far is it's a fair price, as this van looks and runs like new. I just don't know how they hold up in long run.

Thanks!

Dreamer

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
For what its worth, I was in Kankakee IL last week getting some injection pump work done and a Chevy pickup with same drive train was in for a new pump. It had 605,000 miles on it. I remarked that I didn't think the 6.5 would last that long and the mechanics said they are usually only good for about 300K. My cousin has one and it has around 250K on it and the maintenance practices ( if any ) are lacking

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I run all vans, and have very good luck with the Chevy. (I have to say) For the money that is a good deal. That van new was over 30K. You could put another 6 or 7 hundred thou on it before it's all said and done. Good Luck.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Thanks Tony,

I was pretty sure it was a good deal, just not familiar enough with Chevy Vans. I've always had Fords and Dodges, but chanced across this one, and took a closer look because of the condition. Now to see what the bank says..lol.

Dreamer

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
40,000 miles on the old tires before replacement surprises me. Keep the tires properly inflated and rotated about every other oil change and you should get better milage. You may want to check tread depth at each oil change and keep record. Hopefully you will get better milage out of the replacement tires. Many of the OEM tires are at the low end of the quality/durability chart. I have purchased vehicles and gotten rid of perfectly good OEM tires to go with a better tire. For me Cooper has always worked well.

Good Luck and Drive Safe

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
That does appear to be rather odd. I get 100k plus out of the tires I use on my vans. In fact the last set that I just replaced I was able to get 114000. So needles to say I put the very same tires back on. They wear like hard iron.

scratchplayer

Expert Expediter
That does sound like a fantastic deal on the 1999 Chevy van, actually a steal!

About the tires- I had Firestone's on my 1998 Ford E-250 when I bought it, and they were so soft that they wore out in about 45,000 miles. The next set I bought were Michelin LTX. Expensive but well worth it! I put at least 110,000 miles on them then drove on them bald for a while when I was not expediting and didn't have cash for new tires(about a year). Of course, I had to replace them when I got back into driving for a living.:D

Jeff

gambler

Expert Expediter
there is one thing no one has addressed that is the "age" of the vehicle..most expediters wont let you put on a van thats 5yrs old....might wanna check b4 you buy.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What Gambler said is very true. I have even heard of places that won't put on vans more than 3 model years old.
I don't think the GM Duramax diesels are as good as the International built T444/Ford powerstroke diesel, but from what I know the Duramax comes with a really good standard warranty, something like 5 years 250k miles, but with the van being a '99 I guess the warranty is just about over. So, the price and miles sound OK, but you might be getting into a van that places might be hesitant to lease on due to its age, and a van with an expensive diesel out of warranty. It sounds a little too chancey to me.
-Weave-