NEED INFO ON PUTTING ON A VAN

G

I am in need of info on putting on a van. Would like to know which company will keep me running. I would also like to know when are the busy times of the year. I have a cdl and i live in Indina and i know this to be a good area, I live between Indy and Cinci. and Ft.Wayne. Thank You all for the info.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/User_files/38f6ab916b891a19.jpg
Lawrence McCord
Expediters Online.Com

Hello Riddler,

The good news is you live in one of the best areas for Expedite Freight. Most companies will keep you "busy", but you will need to find a company that matches your preferences. You might work great with company XYZ, but hate company ABC.

The Solution?
Ask lots of questions. Spend sometime on their web site. Do a search on this Forum. Ask current contractors. The choice will become clear after awhile. Best wishes.

Lawrence McCord
Expediters Online.Com

bret

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would suggest driving for someone before you dive into this. If you are determined to be an owner, I would go with a B unit (1 ton cargo van). You can obtain a new one with a diesel engine for less than 30K.
As far as straight trucks go, drive for some else first.

mustang

Expert Expediter
lawrence, why are you telling the guy that most companies will keep him "BUSY" ??? before you jump into expediting with a financial commentment, try driving for someone else for awhile and see how you feel about the expediting business. im not trying to discourage you, but you will do much better as an owner/operator if you have some knowledge about it before you make a business decission. i meet alot of people that make a large commitment up front and then start realizing their mistakes. make your mistakes at an owners expense and then jump in with alittle knowledge, if thats your choice. be carefull about putting on a cargo van with just any company...theres alot of vans out there, simply because they are cheaper to get into. you may also want to consider a small company with fewer rules, ie: layover restrictions, etc. remember, the more rules, the more limits on you making your own business decissions and therefore limiting your income. just my suggestions....whatever you do, good luck