Need help Finding a good Truck

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
I have been all over the place looking at trucks i searched all over the net and i have had no luck finding a truck that fits my budget...What im looking for is a Fl70 with a good size sleeper and a 24 ft body on it..AIr ride is a must....and i preferr a cummins motor...So if any one can help me or has any info that would help me it would be great..Im looking to spend about $25,000 or so...As for buying used i feel comfortable doing since i have been around diesels and trucks for a while i have turned a wrench for a while but thanks for the advice....Sorry i forgot to say i wanted a cummins motor.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Rollnthunder,

Welcome to EO!

I always like to think we have a little something for everyone. Have you spent a few minutes in our Classified Ad section? We average around 200 units in our Free Classified Ads section.

Ok, got to brag here...that is more expediter trucks then any other place on or off the web. We have more used expediter units then all expediter dealers combined.

I found this one close to the top:

http://www.expeditersonline.com/cgi...splay_db_button=on&db_id=3422&query=retrieval

or

http://expeditersonline.com/am/listings/l0002.html

Hope this helps!

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Rollinthunder:

I'll share with you my experience buying a used truck.

I purchased a 1998 FL70 with 350,000 miles on the CAT 3126 engine with a 6 speed Eaton/Fuller trans. This truck has a 70" sleeper and a 24 foot box w/roll up door and good rubber. The truck was a repo and I depended on some help from a mechanic/family member to help me check it out. Mercedes Finance wanted over $20,000+ for the truck and I started bidding at $14,000. I negotiated hard and believe that I got this truck for $15,000 because Mercedes has more repo's that they want to be stuck with. (Large Freightliner dealers have repo's on the back lots. They get storage fees but not much else if you buy direct from Mercedes.) I have put 50,000 miles on the truck and it uses less than 1/2 gallon of oil between changes. It has no fluid leaks.

I will give the estimated costs for repairs done to the truck, much of which (w/family help) was done in my shop. Replaced trans linkage, new clutch, replaced exhaust manifold seal, new radiator; new brakes and chambers, new computer & injectors, new radiator, 3 new batteries etc. This is about $8,000 to $9,000 worth of work done on the truck in one year. This puts the truck in that $24,000 range you are considering. (I also threw an $11,000 Maxon 4,000 lbs. removeable lift on the rear.) Although rated higher, I tag this truck for 26,000 lbs. Because I drive from Michigan to east coast and mid-atlantic states I keep it under 26,000 so that I can get up the mountains in PA and NY. If I ran this at 34,000 lbs., I am sure my repairs on the truck would be higher.

The point of all this is, if you buy a $24,000 truck (or less) you better have the cash reserves to keep it operating. For $24M you will probably end up with an FL70 and you should expect high maintenance costs. Try to buy from a driver that "must sell" but that can provide maintenance records. My CAT 3126 runs fine at 400,000 miles (not a lot of power), but I do not expect to see 600,000 with it. The replacement cost (cannot rebuild) will be about $14,000.

Good Luck and Drive Safe

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Lawrence,thanks for the help...But there is a couple of problems with those trucks the first one has a Cat motor i would like to stay away from them..And the 2nd one i almost went and looked at it is close to where i live but it has a 22ft box and the company i am signing on to says they would like for to possibly get a 24ft if possible.They claim they have a lot of customers requesting that size and have very few 24ft...If i could get that and put a 24ft box on i would but im to sure if i could put a 24ft box on it....Thanks for the help guys great site by the way

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you are going to go to dealers, you can try Freightliner dealers in Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo (same company); Chicago; Ft. Wayne; Cinn. etc. You can also get the Freightliner book that lists all of the dealers. (Ask another driver if you can look at his book while sitting at the truck stop.) These larger dealers will have trucks on their lots but may not advertise because of slow sales. Two years ago the truck papers would list half a dozen expediter trucks, they now list only one or two.

Most of the expediting companys have an age limit on the vehicle.

It is true that customers will ask for 24' trucks. I have had numerous times that a customer will want a truck that is longer than they really needed. If you are hauling automotive freight you will probably want to get the 24'.

Good Luck and Drive Safe

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Larry,Thanks for the info....I called a few of them and all they where wanting to sell me was $65,000 trucks.....And all the reading i have done it i think its safe to say they for a first truck you shouldnt buy new....Thanks for all the help guys....

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
I just wanted to say thanks to all that have tried to help me find a good truck and also the ones that are giving me some good advice...I have found a couple of trucks...A western star and a Fl70....Im sure you all know what one im going to try and get....Thanks

treeman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Check out truckpaper.com They usually have a pretty good selection and some reasonable prices. I would not hesitate to buy used, just check out the maintenence etc; My truck was owned by Busch leasing and came with maintenence records. Oil changed every 9-11 thousand miles. I have run it for 3 years now and have had minimal problems. Alternator, power steering pump and clutch. Luckily I have always been able to get it home for repairs. I still change the oil regularly,and have a great deal of confidenc in the truck(knock on wood!). There are still minor things to deal with, lights,tires and such, a loose nut here and there(not to mention behind the wheel) and that type of thing. Total repairs are under 2000.00 I paid 18000 for the truck and it doesn't owe me a dime. Hopefully FedEx will let me keep it on at least one more year, I'm not looking forward to replacing it. The down side(there always is one!)is it is not a fancy truck by any means. It has a 60inch sleeper and a small engine(3116 cat)on a chevy Kodiak chassis. I know this would turn alot of people off, but big sleepers and faster trucks don't make any more money. One of the reasons I have been able to stay in this business is very low over-head,and bottom line is I'm only doing this for the money.(try not to hurt yourselves laughing!) I still dream of a big sleeper and high horsepower but haven't been able to talk myself into it. Good luck in your search!! KG

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Well Treeman i have found what i think to be a good truck..I have looked at several..And i think im going to buy a used western star..I looked at many trucks and they all had eather a few major problems or several minor problems...Im very mechanically inclined but i got to draw the line somewhere...I at first thought well i will buy a cheaper truck for starting out...well i have began to realize cheaper isnt always better by the time you take care of all the problems...Some times it just better to spend a little more and be further ahead...Im still staying under $30,000 for a truck....I have a large down payment so my payment will be reasonable..Matter a fact its just about the same on my wifes F-250 ford...lol..Well thanks for the advice and take care...Thanks

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Lawrence,I found the truck thanks to EO i put a wanted ad on there and i was looking at several Fl70s and then this gentlemen called and asked why i wanted a Fl70 i told him and he said he had a Western star all setup...So im working on getting the financing as we speak...Thanks For all the help..