Multiple Carriers?

w8tamin

Expert Expediter
Howdy

I was wondering if say I buy a van... and become a O/O.... why is it necessary to sign on with just one carrier? IE Couldn't I become qualified with several carriers and then wherever I end-up after a delivery....I just contact whatever carrier is closest? Do they make you sign an exclusive contract and if so what is the duration?

Thanks

PS just noticed that in the EO Classifieds someone just posted 12 Sprinters for sale new 2002's for $25k...isn't that a good price?

thanks again

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What you propose would be an ideal world but you would need to have your own operating authority and trip lease to a carrier,otherwise you are running under a Carrier!s authority and they all usually require Exclusive use. This is so that they have an idea of how many trucks are available in an area to service their customers,also as a aside most expediting carries insist you have satellite setup for instant communications and have the 'Big Eye in the Sky" know where you are all of the time. FDX CC will allow you to trip lease,but will not insure you and you must cover up all signage.But there is also a non-compete clause so you can!t go after one of their customers..