Modified Atkins Program Update

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Ok, I just wanted to post an update to my modified Atkins program.

One week number 3 I have lost 13 LBS!

Never starved and never had to eat that nasty tasting low fat chow.

I would like to hear from more people like Wild Bill and other Forum Members about their success!!!

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

-----------------------------------------
On the keyboard of life, always keep
one finger on the escape key.
http://www.expeditersonline.com/fastcomputer.gif
-----------------------------------------

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
For about 3 or 4 weeks now I've been toying with this diet learning what aren't crab foods and what are. Today is the first day I actually started the diet. I decided to do the 14-day thing as suggested and take it from there. I will with out a doubt keep you all posted. LOL, Tony

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You know I may try this thing next spring. My weight isn!t bad but I would like to drop about 10 pounds. I have a son getting married in Boston on Memorial Day and I would like the evil B----- that is his mother to see me slim and sexy (lol).

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Lawrence..I have probably used the Atkins diet longer than anyone on this forum. It has been my principal weight regulator for years. If you read my two previous posts, I pretty much summed it up. And I would venture to say I tried ALL the popular diets over the years. I tried the low fat, when it was hard to find low fat foods, I tried the cereal and grass diets also, and every other diet in between. I failed big time on all but Atkins. Reason..i´m not HUNGRY like other diets, with Atkins. There are many things you can munch on to cool down the sugar cravings on Atkins. Just read the book, and go for it. I think my rate of weight loss is typical, as my metabolism seems to be normal. My stats are, I'm 6´1´, medium build. I was at 210 lbs. for a high, when I should weigh 175-180 max. I have pretty much see-sawed the last few years, and stay on the low end of my weight range, when I pay attention to the diet. I´m now at 175, and I remember when I started I lost about 15lbs. during the first month, as the first two weeks are the induction diet, where you stay as close to zero carbs as possible. I suspect that 1/3 of that 15lb. loss was water weight, as the diet is a natural diuretic. My consistent weight loss is about 10lbs. a month, everytime I´m on it, (no matter what I eat, or what I do), or less, give or take, depending on carb intake. How close I am to my desired weight, seems to also be a factor, and how strictly I stay with the diet. Calories also count, and you can´t just pig out on say, steak everyday either. I just eat til I´m full, and snack when needed, sometimes 5-6 times a day..but small.(no carb snacks) It took me 41/2 months to get the excess off...around 35 pounds. I know I have to stay on the maintenance diet for the rest of my life, because everytime I don´t, I gain again. It´s not hard to maintain, if you pay attention when you gain 2-4 lbs. I can drop it in about 10 days on average. My problem is, I´m not that disciplined, and I get careless...but, I´m getting better at it, and I think all the low carb products out now, which are recent, really help. Also, excercise is a big contributor in increasing ones rate of loss. But, we all know that being on the road is not the ideal environment for any excercise program. I walk alot, whenever I can, as my main thing, and do 20 pushups a day. I hope this helps you, and good luck!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Lawrence, Teacel, Louixo, Debbie, Bill and others on low carb...

You guys are all very impressive, and very inspiring! I have emailed Wild Bill and he told me about his low carb thing, and let's just say, there's a lot less of Bill to love than there used to be! Myself, I have lost 51 pounds since June. I did the low carb thing to get started, then had cravings and went off. Now, I've been doing the low fat, lower calorie thing, but.. been slipping up on that.

Like someone else said, seems when I eat low fat, I lose weight for a while, then... BANG ! I want REAL food! I'm trying to get back on the low carb thing, the problem I had was bread. I love bread! HOWEVER! I saw where Kroger is selling low carb bread, like one carb a slice I beleive. Gonna get some of that, and see how it tastes, maybe I'll join y'all back on the low carb thing.

Thanks for the inspirations guys (and gals)!

Dreamer

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
Just an update. I stated a while back I was going to see what my doc had to say about the diet thing as I wanted to lose some weight and I was sure that my cholesteral and tryglicerides (sp?) were too high. They sure are and she said she liked the South Beach diet a little better than Atkins, it was something about the fat. Not being all that familiar with either I can't really tell you what the difference is. So anyway I'm about where Tony was as I just started reading the book and getting a handle on this thing before I jump in. Best I can figure, I need to take off about 30lbs., 40 would be better, we'll see. I have a sweet tooth that won't quit so this isn't going to be fun!!

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
DD

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
This on the cover of Netscape this morning..doesn't bode well with the hours we keep does it? :-(

Gaining Weight? Blame Your Bedtime

Are you gaining weight and have no idea why? The culprit could be your bedtime.

If you don't get enough sleep at night, it doesn't matter what you eat and how much time you spend on the treadmill. If you're exhausted, your diet just won't work. Why? Sleep deprivation affects the hormones that control appetite and weight reduction. According to Jewish World Review, physical exhaustion thwarts your diet efforts in both obvious and unexpected ways.

If you don't get enough sleep at night:

* You'll eat more during the day in an attempt to stay alert.
* The hormones that control appetite and weight reduction won't function properly.
* Your resistance to insulin will be increased, which in turn interferes with your ability to digest and process carbohydrates. And that can make you gain weight.

But so far, scientists have just found a LINK between sleep loss and weight gain. They don't know the mechanism--if any--that actually causes this, according to Carl Hunt, M.D., director of the National Center for Sleep Disorders at the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.

If you know you're not getting enough sleep most nights, you're not staying up late alone. As many as 70 million Americans aren't putting in enough pillow time often due to the pressures of a 24/7 lifestyle. At the same time, obesity is becoming a national crisis.

And that's just the point, according to Pat Smith, a registered dietitian and sports consultant based in Orlando, Florida. She told Jewish World Review reporter Bev Bennett, "Nutrition, exercise, and rest are the 'trifecta' for weight loss. We're in the middle of a diet debate over fats or carbohydrates (for optimal weight loss), but the part rest plays is missed in the debate."

Sleep is not a luxury. If you don't get enough sleep every night, it could be as damaging to your diet as splurging on ice cream every night. And crashing on the weekends to make up for a weekday sleep deficit won't cut it.

If that's not enough reason to go to bed earlier, note this: Researchers at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston have determined that women who have a sleep imbalance--that is, sleep five or less hours a night or nine or more--run a greater risk of getting heart disease than those who sleep eight hours a night. While the study involved 121,700 female nurses that began in 1976, the results are likely to apply to men as well.

Reuters reports the specifics of the research results: More than 71,000 women in the study were asked in 1986 about their sleep habits. None had heart disease at the time, but 10 years later there were 934 heart attacks among them, 271 of them fatal. After taking into account other risk factors for heart attacks (snoring, smoking, and obesity), the researchers determined that those who got five hours of sleep or less per night had a 45 percent higher risk of having a heart attack, while those who slept nine or more hours had a 38 percent higher risk. For those who got six and seven hours, the increased risks were 18 percent and 9 percent respectively.

Eight hours is the ideal amount of sleep. It may also be the secret to living a long and healthy life.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The Atkins Advantage shakes are great. My wife was at Wally World, and bought some. I think she said a 4 pack of 11oz cans was $5. I am drinking a creamy vanilla right now. It really does taste like a V shake. She also bought me the peanut butter cup candy bars, 5-pack box, 3 in a pack for $4.29.

This diet crap is real work. I haven't been this serious about getting in shape since my high-school years, when I played ball. OR!!! in my twenties when I was power lifting!!! Look out Stealers, I may sign as a walk-on!!! Can't hurt them, at this point??????????????

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
All this diet talk is making me hungry! :eek:)

Tony we were down near you Friday...Freeport, we were going to stop in but our Rand McNally let us down and we spent the day jogging around the mountains instead! Would have loved to sample your wifes cooking, while you were dieting! HaHaHa

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You were only 25 miles from me. Would have loved to meet you guys. We went to a nice party and you could've come also. Your lose!!!!!! Maybe next time.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
JuJu, Thanks SO much for far more info than I needed (not)! The writing is on the wall, I see it now, WE'RE SCREWED!!!!!!

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes JuJu that does make a whole lot of sense. Know wander most of the drivers I run into are a tad bit on the chunky side. I know my sleep patterns are all screwed up. I go to bed at 9 or 10pm, only to get up at 3am, then try and take a nap about 1pm for a hour or two. That is on a good day. Most of the time I get up around 1am have a smoke, take a wee-wee, then try and get another hour or two.

Knowing all this from JuJu. Is there anyone with a crazy sleep pattern, doing the diet thing, and having some luck with it?

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Tony except for the smoking thing my habits are exactly like yours.I have been on a modified Adkins for a few months now,and have dropped about 20 lbs.I would like to lose more but i seem to feel better with about 25% more carbs than Adkins suggest.

Tinman

Expert Expediter
TINMAN
We just tried Wild Bill's cassarole receipe. We LOVE it!!
But being the redneck that I am, I wanted to put ketchup on it - but didn't...Thanks Wild Bill!

Lost a solid 4 pounds last week, but ate a piece of cake yesterday. I couldn't believe how sweet it tasted after not eating sugar for six days. I had a blood test Friday, and will get the results next Friday...see what the doc says about Atkins.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I’m not one for drinking a lot of water, and believe you me. I real knew it yesterday. When I went to the restroom, it really did burn when well you know. It must be true about drinking a lot of water with all the protein we eat.