Looking into it....... need info.

G

I have been thinking of a career in the expidite business but before I jump into it with my own truck I would like to drive for someone to see how it goes. How much could I expect to make doing this? How long can I expect to be out at a time?
I live in central Okalhoma does anyone know of an o/o from this area that may be looking for a driver? Most people I have seen seem to be from the north east or east.

WendyCal

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Howdy, Brian! Sorry it's taken me so long to post back to you, but there were some problems with posting, then i got real busy and just didn't have the time. Please forgive me!

My husband and i started out by driving for an owner. He paid us 55% of the gross to the truck, with us paying for the fuel, and him paying for EVERYTHING else, including tolls, insurance, repairs, motels for us during major repairs, etc. Please bear in mind that the 55% was for a team, so an owner offering a solo 35% would, in theory, be paying more than our owner did.

Because fuel is the single largest variable expense you are going to have, you might want to work a deal where the owner pays for it. A good situation would probably be for you to make 35% of gross truck pay, with the owner paying for everything else, including fuel.

It IS a driver's market, right now, so don't be afraid to negotiate a deal that is going to be good for YOU! i don't really know what the owners are offering right now -- you might want to email some of the ads looking for drivers to see what they are paying.

i sure hope this helps!

Godspeed to all of you out there on the highways and byways!

Big_Little_Truck

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would check into the companies just like you would if you owned the truck, when you have decided or at least narrowed it down, talk to the companies about Owner's that have empty trucks. When I tried this I got a lot of calls from the lists that the companies already had. I would suggest that you stay away from lease purchase plans. Well that is my 2 cents worth, hope it helps.

G

DEPENDS ON WHAT TYPE OF TRUCK YOU ARE IN BUT AS AN EXAMPLE

AN AVERAGE DRIVER OF A D UNIT SHOULD ALWAYS BUST $1,000.00 PER WEEK.

AN AVERAGE DRIVER OF A CARGO VAN SHOULD BE AT LEAST $500.00
BUT A GOOD CARGO VAN DRIVER DEPENDING ON THE COMPANY YOU LEASE TO
IF THEY WILL LET YOU YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO MAKE THE SAME AS THE D UNIT DRIVER IF YOU KNOW HOW TO CHASE FREIGHT.
BUT IT MEANS MORE UNPAID MILES.

IF YOU DONT MAKE A GRAND WEEK WHY BE AWAY FROM HOME?
IF YOU BECOME AN O/O OF A CARGO VAN YOU WILL MAKE $800 ON AN EASY WEEK TO $2,500 ON A I HAVENT SLEPT IN TWO DAYS WEEK