Linehaul & FSC Pay

Prouddada

Seasoned Expediter
Hello, I'm currently driving someone's van and the owner of the van is getting the Fuel Surcharge and on top of that he's getting 60% of the Linehaul to my 40% of the Linehaul. My gut is telling me ..... I'm being taken advantage of. Every load the FSC covers the fuel and he makes a profit from the FSC and then he takes 60% after all fuel is paid. Let's just say a load pays $1000 and FSC $250 and you used $200 in fuel. He keeps $50 from fsc then he deducts the load pay from the fuel used. $1000-$200=$800 and then he does our 60/40 split where he gets 60% and I get screwed. I appreciate everyone's advice & comment's..... pls keep it civil. Ty have a nice day.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
The 60% and fsc isn't always as you think it is.
Remember the owner pays for maintenance and insurance. While all you do is drive and keep the fluids on the van up.
It's not cheap to run a cargovan/sprinter when your putting 100k miles a year on it.
You have to replace the tires,breaks,change the transmission fluid rear axle fluid.

Reactions: NewTrucker48

Prouddada

Seasoned Expediter
I was under the impression when you do a 60/40 split .....The gross to the van is split between all parties.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
$1000 pay for the load. Splits 60/40. The side paying fuel gets 60%.
$250 FSC The side paying fuel gets 100%.
Side A pays fuel and gets $600 + $250.
Side B gets $400.
At least that's how it was 12 years ago when I retired. What exactly does your contract with this owner that you both signed say about pay and splits?

Reactions: Charity's Van

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was under the impression when you do a 60/40 split .....The gross to the van is split between all parties.
The fuel surcharge goes to whoever is paying for fuel, then the 60/40 split is done.

Prouddada

Seasoned Expediter
Yes, I agree......Whomever pays for the fuel gets the Fuel Surcharge. But in this scenario I should be paid $400. But by him only doing a 60/40 split of the line haul of $800 and not totally the gross revenue which would include the Fuel Surcharge that he would keep. I'm getting screwed .....instead of $400 ......I'm making $320.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
All you are is a warm body....you are taking none of the risk as a driver that the owner is. i mean are you paying for the Qualcomm or insurance or the maintenance? The owner pays all of that on top of the fuel and you.

Reactions: NewTrucker48

Prouddada

Seasoned Expediter
I'm glad you said that.....What would be your reply if I offered to pay for the fuel and the fuel Surcharge and 60% went to me. I understand risks .....but greed will only take you so far by taking advantage of your drivers.....I'm fully aware of 60/40 and fuel Surcharge.....Their are Van Owners that are fair that will trully paying 40% and those that will convince themselves that they are taking all the risk.....but in the end they will lose a good driver by trying to be slick.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What does the contract you both signed say about pay? It should clearly delineate all aspects of the division of pay.

Using the info you gave in the OP, $1000 linehaul and $250 FSC I come up with $400 to you and the remainder to the owner as the one paying fuel. It doesn't matter how much fuel cost, $200 or $300, you get $400 and the rest to him and if fuel costs less than FSC he has a bonus and if it costs more than FSC he pays the extra.

But it's all down to what does the signed contract say?